ATLANTA, Ga. - NJIT junior forward San Antonio Brinson was named the ASUN Men's Basketball Player of the Week while North Alabama freshman forward Mervin James captured the Newcomer of the Week award it was announced by the league office Monday. Brinson registered a new Highlanders program record with 37 points in the win at North Florida while James had a pair of 16-point performances to lead the Lions to a road win.
Men's Basketball Player of the Week
San Antonio Brinson, NJIT
Junior | Forward | Thomson, Ga.
- First Career Player of the Week honor; 14th all-time for NJIT and third this season
- Scored a program record and career-high 37 points in a road win at previously unbeaten North Florida on 16-of-23 (69.6 percent) shooting from the field
- Grabbed eight rebounds and dished out five assists as the Highlanders won their first ASUN contest of the season and second road game
- Added nine points and six rebounds along with one steal, one block and on assist Thursday at Jacksonville
- For the week, averaged 23.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists with a 2.5 assist-to-turnover ratio while shooting 54.1 percent (20-of-37) from the field
Other Nominees: Caleb Catto, FGCU; David Bell, Jacksonville; Tyler Hooker, Kennesaw State; Scottie James, Liberty; Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb.
Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week
Mervin James, North Alabama
Freshman | Forward | St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
- First Career ASUN Newcomer of the Week award; third all-time for North Alabama
- Led North Alabama to its second ASUN win of the season at Lipscomb scoring 16 points (5-of-9) with three rebounds
- Connected on 6-of-9 shooting from the field at Liberty for a game-high 16 points, three rebounds and one assist against the Flames
- On the week, averaged 16.0 points and 3.0 rebounds and shot 61.1 percent (11-of-18) from the field
- Also, hit both three-point attempts on the week and went 8-of-10 (80.0 percent) from the charity stripe
Other Nominees: Jalen Warren, FGCU; Jamie Lewis, Kennesaw State; Parker Hazen, Lipscomb; Rob Perry, Stetson.
2019-20 Season Award Winners
Jan. 13 | Player: San Antonio Brinson; NJIT; Newcomer: Mervin James, North Alabama
Jan. 6 | Player: Caleb Homesley, Liberty; Newcomer: Sam Gagliardi, FGCU
Dec. 30 | Player: Souleymane Diakite, NJIT; Newcomer: KJ Johnson, Lipscomb
Dec. 23 | Player: Scottie James, Liberty; Newcomer: Mahamadou Diawara, Stetson
Dec. 16 | Players: Tyler Hooker, Kennesaw State & Myo Baxter-Bell, Liberty; Newcomer: Diante Wood, Jacksonville
Dec. 9 | Player: Carter Hendricksen, North Florida; Newcomer: Destin Barnes, Jacksonville
Dec. 2 | Player: David Bell, Jacksonville; Newcomer: KJ Johnson, Lipscomb
Nov. 25 | Player: Scottie James, Liberty; Newcomer: Kyle Rode, Liberty
Nov. 18 | Players: Zach Cooks, NJIT & Carter Hendricksen, North Florida; Newcomer: C.J. Brim, North Alabama
Nov. 11 | Player: Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Rob Perry, Stetson
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.