FORT MYERS, Fla. - No. 2 Kennesaw State dominated No. 3 Liberty in Friday night's Semifinal action of the 2019 ASUN Conference Volleyball Championship, sweeping the Flames at Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. The Owls improve to 21-8 to earn their fourth trip to the ASUN Championship Final in five years.
KSU took control early with a 3-0 run, featuring a pair of kills from Quin Sutphin and an ace from Lauren Chastang, both ASUN First Team selections, to give the Owls a 5-2 advantage. A 7-0 run propelled the Owls to a 17-6 lead. Liberty went on a late 6-0 run to close the gap, but Sutphin stopped the run with a kill to push Kennesaw State to a 25-21 set one victory.
The Owls got off to a fast start in the second set with a 6-0 run, giving them an 8-3 lead. Kennesaw State kept its foot on the petal as they pushed it's lead to nine points. Liberty kept battling but it would not be enough as KSU took set two 25-16.
Kennesaw State opened with another strong 7-1 run, including three kills, two aces and a block to take early control. They continued to increase their lead to seven after a 4-0 run that started with a Chastang kill.
Inside The Box Score
- Only three players reached double-digit kills, Kennesaw State's Quin Sutphin leading both teams, recording 16 kills while hitting .429.
- The Owls hit .250 in the second set while holding the Flames to .034.
- Only two lead changes occurred in the match, one taking place in the first and second set.
- The Setter of the Year, Lexi Broadwater had a match-high 37 assists while recording 12 digs for a double-double.
- Liberty was strong on the block tonight recording 11.5 to Kennesaw State's eight.
News & Notes
- The Owls improve to 6-0 against the Flames all-time and hold an 1-0 record against Liberty in the ASUN Championship.
- Kennesaw State had eight service aces, and now have 215 as a team.
No. 2 Kennesaw State advances to battle No. 1 FGCU in the ASUN Championship Final Saturday, at 5 PM in Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. The matchup will be a rematch of the 2017 and 2018 Championship Finals; which ended with each team bring home a Championship title. Liberty finishes the 2019 season with a 19-11 record.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.