KENNESAW, Ga. - The 2018 ASUN Conference Volleyball Championship rolls on into the semifinal matches on Friday evening at the KSU Convocation Center. Friday's action kicks off with No. 1 FGCU taking on No. 4 Liberty, followed by the nightcap between No. 2 Kennesaw State and No. 3 Lipscomb.
FGCU soars into the championship on a 13-game win streak. The Eagles boast three First Team All-Conference members in Unanimous Player of the Year, Cortney VanLiew; Freshman & Defensive Player of the Year Dana Axner and Sharonda Pickering. FCGU looks to make it three-straight appearances in the final, as they search for their first ASUN Championship. Liberty was sharp in their first round win vs. Stetson, sweeping the Hatters 3-0. They seek for its first conference title since 2012.
In the late game, we see a rematch of last year's semifinal as KSU takes on Lipscomb. The Owls took both matches from the Bisons this season and currently own a five-game win streak against them. The semifinal is commonplace for Lipscomb, as they are making their 14th-consecutive appearance. Lipscomb seeks their seventh conference title and first since 2016.
No. 1 vs. No. 4 All Time: 17-7
2018 Matches: FGCU 3, Liberty 2 (Oct. 12th, Lynchburg, Va.) & FGCU 3, Liberty 0 (Nov. 10th, 2017; Fort Myers, Fla.)
- The Eagles boast the Player, Coach, Defensive Player and Freshman of the Year (Cortney VanLiew, Matt Botsford and Dana Axner)
- Axner is the first player in ASUN history to win both Freshman and Defensive Player of the Year in the same year
- VanLiew is the first unanimous Player of the Year in FGCU history; her 416 kills are third most for FGCU in the Division I era
- First Team All-Conference member, Casey Goodwin recorded 15 kills, five digs and five blocks in the first round win
- Victoria Baptista chipped in with a double-double of 11 kills and 14 digs for the Flames vs. Stetson
- The Flames were stout on defense with 14 blocks, 57 digs and held Stetson to a .098 hitting percentage
- In matches against FGCU this season, Kainah Williams has recorded 17 kills, four blocks and a .535 hitting percentage
No. 2 vs. No. 3 All Time: 10-12
2018 Matches: Kennesaw State 3, Lipscomb 2 (October 17th, 2 Nashville, Tenn.) & Kennesaw State 3, Lipscomb 0 (Nov. 6th, Kennesaw, Ga.)
- KSU is led by First Team All-Conference member, Lauren Chastang. Her 385 kills are third-most in KSU history
- The Owls enjoyed a program-record 14-game win streak earlier this season
- Three-time First Team All-Conference member, Carlyle Nusbaum registered 16 kills and 13 digs in the first round win
- Sitting at 1,729 career kills, Nusbaum is just 18 kills away from moving into sole possession of second place all-time in ASUN history
- All-Academic team selection, Morgan Elmore notched a double-double of 30 assists and 10 digs in the win over UNF
- Against KSU this season, Ca'Layci Coffey has tallied 21 kills, six blocks and a .384 hitting percentage