LakePoint, Ga. - With the 2017 ASUN Conference Volleyball regular season coming to a close, Kennesaw State's Kristi Piedimonte, Lipscomb's Brittany Thomas and North Florida's Devin Wheeler collected the final weekly awards, announced by the conference office on Monday.
Piedimonte collects her first career ASUN Player of the Week award in her final chance as the senior setter helped Kennesaw State clinch its first-ever outright ASUN Volleyball regular season crown. Piedimonte controlled the action in the Owls' 3-0 win at Stetson with 32 assists, while adding 11 digs defensively for a double-double. In the final regular season contest, Piedimonte was superb as she dished out 46 assists in Kennesaw State's 3-1 win at FGCU. It's her second-highest total of the season in a four-set match. She added six kills, two aces and three blocks over the two matches combined.
Thomas takes home her third career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week honor, her first of this season. She had her best weekend of the year as she averaged over 5.00 digs per set in each of Lipscomb's two matches. She opened the weekend with 16 digs (5.33 digs/set) on the road at FGCU, then was everywhere defensively with 26 digs (6.50 digs/set) in the win at Stetson. With her performance at Stetson, Thomas now has six matches with 20 or more digs this season.
Wheeler continued her strong end to the season as she earns her second ASUN Freshman of the Week honor. The Carrollton, Texas native dominated the action in North Florida's first match of the week. She finished with 15 kills and 21 digs as the Ospreys clinched a spot in the ASUN Championship. Wheeler followed that up with 12 kills and eight digs in the win against NJIT to close out the regular season. She averaged 4.50 kills per set and 4.83 digs per set for the week.
ASUN Volleyball Player of the Week - Nov. 13th
Kristi Piedimonte, Kennesaw State
Senior | Setter | St. Louis, Mo. | Nursing
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week honor; third for the Owls this season
- Led Owls to 2-0 week to clinch the outright ASUN regular season title
- Dished out 32 assists and added 11 digs in straight-set win at Stetson
- Posted 46 assists at FGCU to lead Owls to the No. 1 seed in upcoming ASUN Championship
- Added six kills, three blocks and two service aces last week
Other Nominees: Amanda Carroll, FGCU; Mackenzie Swan, Jacksonville; Carlyle Nusbaum, Lipscomb; Devyn Wheeler, North Florida; Lily Dempsey, USC Upstate.
ASUN Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week - Nov. 13th
Brittany Thomas, Lipscomb
Senior | Libero | Overland Park, Kan. | Financial Management
- Third Career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week, first this season
- Produced her best defensive weekend of the year with 42 combined digs
- Finished the opening match at FGCU with a 5.33 digs per set average
- Followed that up with 26 digs in four-set win at Stetson (6.50 digs/set)
- Posted an assist in each match as Bisons went 1-1 on the weekend
Other Nominees: Karissa Rhoades, FGCU; Mackenzie Swan, Jacksonville; Liesl Engelbrecht, Kennesaw State; Ashley Laborde, North Florida; Kaleigh Kelley, USC Upstate.
ASUN Volleyball Freshman of the Week - Nov. 13th
Devyn Wheeler, North Florida
Freshman | Middle Blocker | Carrollton, Texas | Biology
- Second Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor
- Combined for 4.50 kills/set and 4.83 digs/set in 2-0 week for Ospreys
- Opened with 15 kills and 21 digs vs. USC Upstate to clinch UNF's spot in Championship
- Added 12 kills and eight digs in victory against NJIT to close out regular season
- Finished week hitting .262 and added four assists, two blocks combined for Ospreys
Other Nominees: Snowy Burnam, FGCU; Kendall Murr, Jacksonville; Lauren Chastang, Kennesaw State; Lily Dempsey, USC Upstate.