LakePoint, Ga. - Madison Haake of USC Upstate, Ashley Laborde of North Florida and FGCU's Cortney VanLiew collected this week's ASUN Conference Volleyball Weekly awards, announced by the conference office on Monday.
Haake picks up her second career ASUN Player of the Week honor, first of the 2017 campaign following a great performance all week for the Spartans. The junior posted four double-doubles and two triple doubles as the Spartans were on the road at the Deamon Deacon Invitational. She averaged 3.12 digs per set and 6.42 assists per set on the week, while adding 36 total kills offensively. Her first triple-double of the weekend came against Wake Forest where she finished with 17 kills, 21 assists and 15 digs. She followed that up later in the day with her second triple-double as the Spartans defeated William & Mary behind Haake's 13 kills, 20 assists and 13 digs.
Laborde earns her second career Defensive Player of the Week honor after shining defensively for the Ospreys at the Georgia Tech Invitational. She recorded a team-best 48 total digs in three matches for North Florida. Laborde opened her weekend with 16 digs against Kansas State. She closed it out with a season-high 23 digs as the Ospreys defeated Xavier to close out the weekend. Laborde averaged 4.36 digs per set this week and added eight assists and two service aces on the offensive end.
VanLiew was one of the offensive catalysts for FGCU this weekend at the Wildcat Invite in Davidson, N.C. She collects her first career Freshman of the Week honor after recording three consecutive double-digit kill performances. VanLiew averaged 4.00 kills per set and helped the Eagles finish the weekend with a 2-1 record. Her hitting percentage for the week was .298, with her best match coming against the hosts Davidson. She hit .308 and finished with 17 kills. She also recorded a double-double in the win against Wofford with 13 kills and 13 digs.
ASUN Volleyball Player of the Week - Sept. 11th
Madison Haake, USC Upstate
Junior | Setter | Bartelso, Ill. | Computer Information Systems
- Second Career Player of the Week Award; first this season
- Posted four double-doubles on the week for the Spartans, including three at Demon Deacon Invite
- Finished the weekend with back-to-back triple-doubles, first two by any ASUN player this year
- She had 17 kills, 21 assists and 15 digs in hard fought match vs. Wake Forest
- Went for 13 kills, 20 assists and 13 digs in victory against William & Mary
- Added five blocks defensively and two service aces for the week
Other Nominees: Amanda Carroll, FGCU; Cristina Finan, Jacksonville; Maddie Phillips, Lipscomb; Taryn Griffey, North Florida.
ASUN Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week - Sept. 11th
Ashley Laborde, North Florida
Junior | Libero | Ocala, Fla. | Communications
- Seconds Career Defensive Player of the Week Award; first this season
- Combined for team-high 48 digs at Georgia Tech Invitational
- Finished week with 4.36 digs per set average
- Opened weekend with 16 digs (4.00 digs per set) against Kansas State
- Posted a season-high 23 digs in the four set victory against Xavier to close out weekend
- Added eight assists and two service aces on the offensive end
Other Nominees: Kendall Murr, Jacksonville; Brittany Thomas, Lipscomb; Kaleigh Kelley, USC Upstate; Chelcie Spence, Stetson.
ASUN Volleyball Freshman of the Week - Sept. 11th
Cortney VanLiew, FGCU
Freshman | Outside Hitter | Seymour, Ind.
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week Award
- Posted three double-digit kill matches for Eagles at Wildcat Invitational
- Produced a double-double with 13 kills and 13 digs to open the tournament against Wofford
- Had 17 kills and hit .308 in victory against Davidson
- Finished weekend off with 14 kills and seven digs against Georgia
- Averaged 2.45 digs per set and added four total blocks for FGCU last week
Other Nominees: Kendall Murr, Jacksonville; Lily Dempsey, USC Upstate; Naina Ivanova, Stetson.
|Date||ASUN Player of the Week||Defensive Player of the Week||Freshman of the Week|
|Aug. 28||Carlyle Nusbaum, Lipscomb||Karissa Rhoades, FGCU||Hannah Marchand, Jacksonville|
|Sept. 5||Carlyle Nusbaum, Lipscomb||Katarina Morton, Kennesaw State||Lily Dempsey, USC Upstate|
|Sept. 11||Madison Haake, USC Upstate||Ashley Laborde, North Florida||Cortney VanLiew, FGCU|