NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Lipscomb captured its first Atlantic Sun Volleyball Championship title since 2011 with a 3-0 sweep over Kennesaw State. The Bisons will now be playing in the NCAA Tournament in back-to-back seasons.
Brittnay Estes, the 2015 A-Sun Player of the Year, was voted Championship MVP after registering 10 kills on Saturday afternoon. Her senior teammates, Jewell Dobson and Molly Spitznagle, combined for 19 kills to help the Bisons to their fifth A-Sun Championship. Kennesaw's Anaiah Boyer was voted to the All-Tournament team after leading the Owls in the Final with 11 kills.
A tightly contested opening set went to the Bisons as Player of the Year Brittnay Estes had four kills, including the final one, for the 25-21 victory. The Owls had control of the set up 13-9, but a solo block by Molly Spitznagle turned momentum in favor of the Bisons. A 5-0 run capped by a Kayla Ostrom ace gave Lipscomb the 21-17 lead. Estes then closed out the set with a kill after a Lipscomb timeout to take a 1-0 lead.
Lipscomb carried that momentum over into the second set. Spitznagle sparked a run in the middle of the set that pushed Lipscomb's lead from 13-10 to 20-11 with two kills and a block. Dobson and Estes once again came through down the stretch as they closed the deal on a 25-16 second set victory and a 2-0 lead heading into intermission. Anaiah Boyer tallied a combined 10 kills in the opening two sets for the Owls.
After KSU jumped out to a 7-3 lead following intermission, the Bisons came storming back and tied the match at 7-7 with kills by Dobson and Kayla Ostrom. Another 4-0 scoring run gave the Bisons a 14-11 lead that they would not relinquish. Spitznagle and Estes got kills that increased the lead to 19-12. First Team All-Conference and All-Academic selection Jewell Dobson recorded the final kill to send the Bisons back to the NCAA Tournament.
Lipscomb will now await the NCAA Selection Show to find out who they will face and where they will be headed next. The NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship field will be announced on Sunday, November 29th.
- Brittnay Estes, Lipscomb - MVP
- Jewell Dobson, Lipscomb
- Kayla Ostrom, Lipscomb
- Anaiah Boyer, Kennesaw State
- Amanda Carroll, FGCU
- Mayara Prestes, Jacksonville
Lipscomb vs. Kennesaw State Championship Notes:
- The Bisons had made it to three-straight A-Sun Championship Finals, but lost the previous two. This year they secured the double of regular season champions and tournament champions for the third time.
- Brittnay Estes becomes the fourth Lipscomb Bisons player to win A-Sun Championship MVP honors and first since the 2011 Championship.
- For the seventh time this season, Lipscomb had a hitting percentage of .360 or higher in a match. They have won all seven of those contests.
- Anaiah Boyer led the Owls in two of the three A-Sun Championship matches over the weekend. The Owls end the season with a program record 19 victories.