NASHVILLE, Tenn. - In Friday's first-round action of the 2019 ASUN Conference Women's Soccer Championship, No. 6 NJIT upset No. 3 Liberty by a 2-1 score at Lipscomb Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn. The Highlanders improve to 7-7-3 on the year and avenged its 1-0 loss to the Flames on Oct. 27.
After a scoreless first half, Liberty's Kayleigh Kardos sent a ball into the box from the left side to find a streaking Avery Belk to break the 0-0 tie in the 72nd minute to give the Flames a 1-0 advantage. The goal was Belk's first of the season.
NJIT answered back with Lauren Chamberlain weaving her way in before bending it in for the equalizer. Less than two minutes later, Fiona Wright found her way around the defense to collect a loose ball and found the back of the net for the game-winner, slipping it past the Liberty keeper Melody Jayroe, the ASUN Goalkeeper of the Year. Both Chamberlain and Wright scored their fourth goals of the season.
A Lauren Chamberlain goal in the 79th minute tied the match and swung the momentum to NJIT which resulted in Fiona Wright's game-winner less than two minutes later off the assist from Chamberlain.
- 71:33 - Avery Belk, LU (Kayleigh Kardos)
- 78:20 - Lauren Chamberlain, NJIT (Alexis Magruder)
- 80:08 - Fiona Wright, NJIT (Lauren Chamberlain)
Inside The Box Score
- Liberty outshot NJIT 22-6; the Flames posting nine in the first and 13 in the second to the Highlanders one and five
- Lauren Chamberlain totaled three points on one goal and an assist
- Molly Saylor collected seven saves in the 90 minutes in net for the Highlanders
News & Notes
- For the second time in less than a week, NJIT and Liberty battled on the pitch. This time, the Highlanders came out on top.
- NJIT, in the ASUN Championship for just the second time in program history, won its first game in the tournament.
- The No. 6 seed has now won the first round match the past three seasons and seven of the last 10 years.
- The two goals allowed by Liberty marked the first to an ASUN opponent in regulation time this season.
- Liberty is still searching for its first win in ASUN Championship play after dropping a 2-1 first round decision last season, its first in the league.
No. 6 NJIT advances to battle No. 2 Lipscomb in the ASUN Championship Semifinals Sunday, at 1 PM CT at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn. Liberty finishes this season with a 10-7-2 record.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNSoccer