WASHINGTON D.C. – The Lipscomb women's soccer team's historical postseason run came to an end on Friday afternoon in the second round of the NCAA Tournament as the Lady Bisons fell to No. 9-ranked Duke 3-0 in Washington D.C.
Originally slated to take place at Georgetown, the match was moved to George Washington University due to weather-imposed field conditions.
Lipscomb (15-5-2) ends the season with a program-best mark of 15 wins, an ASUN regular season and tournament championship (the first in program history), and an NCAA Tournament win for the first time ever.
After just over 30 scoreless minutes, Duke's (16-3-2) speedy attack notched their first goal in the 34th minute. Tess Boade slotted in strong shot off the assist from Taylor Racioppi.
Duke's leading scorer Kayla McCoy notched the Blue Devils' second goal off of an assist from Lily Nabet in the 63rd minute.
Gabi Brummet notched the third Duke goal on an assist from Marykate McGuire in the game's waning moments.
The score could have been higher for the Blue Devils, but the Lipscomb backline made several goal-line clearances. Senior Justis Bailey and juniors Dom Diller and Hailey Eck all deflected sure Duke goals, with Bailey sending out a pair of acrobatic headers.
Redshirt-senior goalkeeper Kate Mason also made a number of stops in her final appearance in the Purple and Gold, notching a career-high 10 saves. She finishes the year with 105 saves.
- Mason, Bailey, Doak, Diller, and freshman Logan McFadden played the full 90 minutes for the Purple and Gold.
- Duke outshot Lipscomb 26-4.
- Doak led Lipscomb with two shots, while redshirt-junior Maycie McKay and sophomore Kaitlin Echols notched one each.
- McCoy led Duke with five shots, including four on goal.
- The Lady Bisons are now 0-2 against ACC squads this season and all-time.
- Lipscomb was whistled for nine fouls, and Duke was called for one.
- Mason, Bailey, and Brooke Brenner leave with 48 wins, the most for a senior class in program history.