Championship Bracket | Photo Gallery | Championship Page
FORT MYERS, Fla. - FGCU advanced to its fifth-straight Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship Final with a 5-0 victory over Stetson on Friday evening at the FGCU Soccer Complex.
It was a scoring party early and often for the Eagles as five different players in the Green and Blue recorded goals, including Ali Rogers, Shea Rhoney, Meaghan Mulligan, Tabby Tindell and Shay Jackson. Goalkeeper Brittany Brown recorded her ninth shutout of the season as the FGCU backline stifled the Hatter attack.
Looking for its fourth A-Sun Championship title, FGCU (12-5-2) got out to a quick start in the 11th minute, as Shea Rhoney converted a penalty kick after a Stetson handball in the box. The Hatters were able to stifle the majority of the Eagle attack in the first half, before FGCU's Ali Rogers took advantage of an open goal after a crossbar shot to increase the home team's lead to 2-0 at halftime.
Early in the second half Stetson was fouled in the box with a chance to cut the lead in half before Brittany Brown made a diving save on a penalty kick shot from Mara Keomanivane to preserve the shutout. The Eagles refused to take the foot off the accelerator and sophomore Meaghan Mulligan one-touched a ball from Tindell to extend the FGCU lead to 3-0 in the 58th minute. The A-Sun Player of the Year Tindell wasn't finished there as the junior netted FGCU's fourth goal off a corner kick from Paulina Speckmaier. Shay Jackson netted the final goal of the match for the Eagles to seal the victory at 5-0.
Keomanivane recorded the only shot on goal for the Hatters while goalkeeper Janina Scharnbacher collected nine saves against the FGCU offensive attack. Sophomore Sarah Collins ends the year tied for the program single-season record with 12 goals.
The No. 1 Eagles advance to the A-Sun Championship Final on Sunday, Nov. 8th where they will face the No. 2 seed Lipscomb, who defeated Jacksonville on Friday afternoon 3-0. The conference final will be streamed on ESPN3 starting at 1 p.m.
FGCU vs. Stetson Championship Notes
- With its win tonight, FGCU heads to a fifth-straight Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship final. The Eagles are 3-0-1 in the final game of the tournament and are the first team since UCF in 1999 to make five-straight Championship Final appearances.
- Stetson ends its season at 10-8-1. The Hatter's 10 wins are their most since 2009.
- FGCU remains unbeaten in its last 34 contests against A-Sun foes including tournament matches. The Eagles are 29-0-5 during that stretch.
- The No. 1 seed has now advanced to nine-straight A-Sun Championship Final matches. The top seed is 9-3-4 in those appearances.
- A-Sun Player of the Year Tabby Tindell increased her conference lead now with a goal and an assist tonight, now reaching 41 points on the season.
Tweets by @ASunSoccer