Championship Bracket | Photo Gallery | Championship Page
FORT MYERS, Fla. - For the first time in program history, Lipscomb walked away from an Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship match with a victory as the Bisons topped Jacksonville, 3-0, on Friday late afternoon at the FGCU Soccer Complex.
Playing in its third A-Sun Championship, the Bisons found first half goals from Jade Abarca on a penalty kick in the 10th minute and Alex Hickey in the 18th on an assist by Natalie DuBoise to pull ahead of the third-seeded Dolphins.
With the shutout victory, A-Sun Goalkeeper of the Year Anna Buhigas sets the league single-season mark with her 13th shutout of the year as she lowered her GAA to 0.49. The junior from Columbus, Ohio made two saves in the victory as Lipscomb extended its program record for wins to 12. Lipscomb has now tallied a shutout in its past three matches and held opponents scoreless for 277 minutes.
The Bisons extended their advantage to three with Brooke Brenner's 63rd minute tally as Dominique Diller's shot attempt was blocked by the JU defense straight to Brenner. The freshman then placed the ball into the far right corner for her third of the season.
For Jacksonville, Marie Weckhurst, Kyra Cloutier & Bailey Dotsikas managed shots on goal with Cloutier's & Dotsikas' attempts coming in the opening 16 minutes, while Weckhurst's shot was saved by Buhigas in the 70th.
The No. 2 Bisons advance to the A-Sun Championship Final on Sunday, Nov. 8th where they will face the winner of top-seeded FGCU & No. 5 Stetson in Friday's 7 p.m. match. The conference final will be streamed on ESPN3 starting at 1 p.m.
Lipscomb vs. Jacksonville Championship Notes
- The Bisons first A-Sun Championship victory comes in their third attempt after suffering losses to Kennesaw State the past two seasons.
- Jacksonville's season ends with a 6-8-3 mark, its first losing record since 2007.
- The victory for Lipscomb was only the third-ever by a No. 2 seed vs. No. 3 in A-Sun Championship history.
- The No. 2 seed has now advanced to the A-Sun Championship Final for the fifth time in the last seven seasons with titles coming in 2010 and 2013.
- Jacksonville Second Team All-Conference Goalkeeper Sara Wicks finishes the year with 107 saves this season; second-most in the A-Sun.