MACON, Ga. - The Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship begins tonight, Friday, October 31, with a quarterfinal match between No. 3 Jacksonville and No. 6 Kennesaw State at 6 p.m. in Jacksonville, Fla. On Saturday, No. 4 North Florida takes on No. 5 Northern Kentucky at noon. Fans can view both matches ASun.TV for free.
The winner of the Jacksonville/Kennesaw State match will go on to play No. 2 Lipscomb in the A-Sun Championship semifinals in Fort Myers, Fla. on Friday, November 7. Top-seeded FGCU awaits the winner of the North Florida/Northern Kentucky match.
2014 Atlantic Sun Women's Soccer Championship Quarterfinals
Jacksonville hosts Kennesaw State | Friday, October 31; 6 p.m. | ASun.TV
#3 Seed vs. #6 Seed All-Time: 9-4-3
Last Match: Kennesaw State 1, Jacksonville 0 (10/10/2014; Jacksonville, Fla.)
Record: 10-7-1; 4-3
A-Sun Championships: Three - 2000, 2006, 2013
Last Time in A-Sun Championship: 2013; A-Sun Champions
- Jacksonville returns to the A-Sun Championship as the defending 2013 Champions. They defeated FGCU in penalty kicks last year to win the title.
- The last time Jacksonville was a No. 3 seed, the Dolphins suffered a first round setback on penalty kicks in 2011.
- Jacksonville has nine returning starters from last year's Championship team. Sarah Sierra, Ashley Poirier, Kaitlyn Bassett, Marie Weckhurst, Jessica Cataldo-Ramirez, Miranda Fyfe, Joy Grove, Hannah Hartman and Julia Burton all return.
- Bassett was named to the All-Conference First Team on Thursday. She has four goals and three game-winners for the Dolphins.
- Goalkeeper Sierra, defender Fyfe, midfielder Lindsay Forrest and forward Sope Akindoju each made the All-Conference Second Team.
- Freshman Akindoju leads the Dolphins with five goals and 13 points.
- Sierra has started in 18 matches for Jacksonville and holds a 0.82 GAA.
#6 Kennesaw State
Record: 6-10-1; 3-4
A-Sun Championships: Two - 2007, 2009
Last Time in A-Sun Championship: 2013; A-Sun Semifinals
- Kennesaw State defeated Lipscomb in the first round of 2013's Championship, but fell in the next round to Jacksonville on a 2-0 result.
- This marks the first time Kennesaw State is a No. 6 seed in the A-Sun Championship.
- The Owls return eight starters from last year's team. Nicole Calder, Maggie Gaughan, Hannah Churchill, Alma Gardardottir, Shannon Driscoll, Olivia Sturdivant, Iyani Hughes and Brittney Reed all return for KSU.
- Defender Reed was the only Owl player to make the All-Conference First Team. Gaughan was selected for the Second Team as a forward. Defender Abby Roth made the All-Freshman Team.
- Gaughan leads KSU with five goals and 11 points.
- Goalkeeper Sturdivant has started in 12 matches for the Owls and owns a 1.41 GAA with four victories on the year.
North Florida hosts Northern Kentucky | Saturday, November 1; Noon | ASun.TV
#4 Seed vs. #5 Seed All-Time: 6-4-6
Last Match: North Florida 2, Northern Kentucky 1 (10/5/2014; Highlands Heights, Ky.)
#4 North Florida
Record: 5-11-1; 3-3-1
All-Time Record in A-Sun Championship: 2-3-0
No. 4 Seeds in the A-Sun Championship: 6-14-6
Last Time in A-Sun Championship: 2012; A-Sun Semifinals
- In 2012, North Florida defeated Kennesaw State as the No. 6 seed, but failed to make it past the semifinals in Fort Myers, Fla.
- This marks the first time North Florida is a No. 4 seed in the A-Sun Championship.
- The Ospreys return just one starter from 2012's A-Sun Championship team. Defender Jennifer Marzi had one shot on goal for UNF in its last postseason match.
- Goalkeeper Megan Dorsey was named to the All-Conference Second Team Thursday afternoon. She has 93 saves on the year and two shutouts for UNF. Midfielder Hanna Parado joined Dorsey on the Second Team. Parado has two goals in 2014 with over 1371 minutes played.
- The Ospreys had three student-athletes make the All-Freshman Team. Kayla Gray, Jess Kinlaw and Parado were honored Thursday afternoon.
- Gray leads the Ospreys with three goals and nine points over 17 matches.
- Jill Holdsworth has four helpers on the year and is the only UNF players with over 1500 minutes played.
#5 Northern Kentucky
Record: 8-7-3; 3-3-1
No. 5 Seeds in the A-Sun Championship: 6-10-6
Last Time in A-Sun Championship: First year in A-Sun Championship
- This marks the first year Northern Kentucky is eligible for the A-Sun Championship since joining the conference in 2012.
- The Norse registered 10 points during conference play, a program-best as a member of the A-Sun.
- Forward Macy Hamblin was announced as the 2014 A-Sun Freshman of the Year on Thursday afternoon. She leads the Norse with seven goals and 18 points, earning her a spot on the All-Conference First Team.
- Jessica Frey was the only other Northern Kentucky player to earn a postseason honor. Frey made the All-Freshman team with Hamblin and has tallied four goals for the Norse in 18 matches played.
- Goalkeeper Brooke Schocker has started in 10 matches and carries a 1.41 GAA with 62 saves. She holds a 6-4-1 record in 2014.
- Northern Kentucky holds a winning record while on the road at 5-4-1. The Norse have won three-straight matches.