CONWAY, S.C. - The 2019 ASUN Lacrosse Championship concludes on Saturday afternoon, as No. 1 Jacksonville takes on No. 2 Liberty in the Final. First draw is set for 1 PM ET, and can be watched on ESPN+.
Jacksonville finds themselves back in the ASUN Championship Final for the sixth time in program history after defeating No. 4 Kennesaw State, 24-8. ASUN First Teamers, Lillie Miller and Jenny Kinsey, sparked the offense for the Dolphins in the semfinal victory. The two combined for 15 goals, while Kinsey's 10 total points broke a ASUN Championship record. Miller netted seven goals while dishing out two assists of her own. ASUN Freshman of the Year, Dayna Martinetto was superb in net for the Dolphins. She made seven saves, while allowing just six goals in the semifinal triumph over Kennesaw State. With a win against Liberty, the Dolphins would secure their third consecutive ASUN Championship and sixth overall.
For just the second time in program history, Liberty is playing for a conference championship. In just their first year in the ASUN, Liberty has taken the league by storm. The Flames has notched a program record 14 wins on the season and took down Coastal Carolina, who had appeared in the last two ASUN Finals, in the ASUN Championship Semifinal on Thursday. The Flames used a stout defensive effort to move past the Chanticleers, as goalie Katherine Widrick allowed just eight goals and make eight saves. The eight goals for Coastal were their lowest output in an ASUN contest this season. Anna Keebler matched a season-high with five goals, while First Team All-Conference selection Carly White netted a hat trick and won five draw controls. The Flames can clinch their first-ever NCAA Tournament berth with a victory against Jacksonville.
No. 1 Jacksonville vs. No. 2 Liberty - 1 p.m. (ESPN+)
2019 Season Meeting: Jacksonville 19, Liberty 6 (4/14)
No. 1 Jacksonville Dolphins
Record: 15-3; 6-0
Record at ASUN Championships: 11-1 (ASUN Champions 2013, '14, '15, '17, '18)
Points Leader: Jenny Kinsey - 43 goals / 16 assists / 59 points
- Won their seventh ASUN regular season crown with a perfect conference record of 6-0
- Took down Kennesaw State, 24-8 to advance to their sixth ASUN Championship Final
- Jenny Kinsey broke the ASUN Championship record for points in a single game with 10 against KSU
- Jacksonville features a balanced attack with 10 players who have tallied at least 20 points this season
- The Dolphins look to three-peat as Champions with a victory. They have won the championship five times overall
- Jacksonville defeated Liberty in the regular season by a score of 19-6. Megan Prescott had four goals in the win
No. 2 Liberty Flames
Record: 14-4; 5-1
Record at ASUN Championships: 1-0 (First year)
Top Points Scorer: Carly White - 36 goals / 24 assists / 60 points
- The Flames finished with a 5-1 mark in ASUN play and their 14 wins are most in program history
- Katherine Widrick made eight saves and allowed Coastal to just eight goals in the semifinal win on Thursday
- Liberty is led by two First Team All-Conference selections in Carly White and Brianna McCaffrey
- White notched a hat trick against Coastal on Thursday, while McCaffrey caused three turnovers
- The Flames are one of the top defensive teams in the nation leading in caused turnovers per game with a mark of 15.89
- Liberty is making their second-ever appearance in a conference title game (previous 2015) and can clinch their first-ever conference championship with a win.
Follow the entire 2019 ASUN Lacrosse Championship live on ESPN+ as all games will be streamed. Join the conversation by following @ASUNWLax on Twitter.