PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Lady Flames juniors Hannah Quast and Carly White scored three goals apiece, leading Liberty to a 10-7 road triumph against the Robert Morris Colonials on Wednesday afternoon at Joe Walton Stadium.
Liberty is now 4-1 overall and 3-0 on the road in 2019. The Lady Flames, who have won two games in a row, have now started 4-1 each of the past two seasons. The setback was Robert Morris' first of the season. The Colonials, who were led by in scoring by Mackenzie Gandy with three goals, fall to 2-1.
Liberty used a pair of 3-0 runs in each half to distance itself from Robert Morris. Following their 3-0 run in the opening frame to take a 5-2 lead with 10:12 left, the Lady Flames never lead by less than three. Liberty senior captain Kayla Foster, playing in her home state of Pennsylvania, added two goals, three assists and five points in the victory.
Liberty Goals: Carly White 3, Hannah Quast 3, Brianna McCaffrey 2, Kayla Foster 2
Liberty Assists: Kayla Foster 3, Carly White 2, Grace Fletcher 1
Robert Morris Goals: Mackenzie Gandy 3, Sophia Eureka 1, Thalia Zolis 1, Kerri Sayrafe 1
Robert Morris Assists: Mackenzie Gandy 2, Rachel Ward 1
W: Katherine Widrick 4-1, 8 saves
L: Katelyn Miller 2-1, 17 saves
Thoughts From Head Coach Kelly Nangle
"I thought our girls did well today fighting through some adversity and battling for 60 minutes. We knew this was going to be a good game, and they were ready for us. I think we grew today and fought through some situations that will make us better down the stretch. I'm excited for this team, and I'm excited to watch them improve and become more resilient with each test. We have a short turnaround before we face a very good Richmond team on Saturday. We are excited to get back to work!"
Leading 6-3 at intermission, the Lady Flames opened up the game with a 3-0 run over the first 12:25 of the second half. During that stretch, the Lady Flames' Quast completed her hat trick (28:23 mark, 7-3 Liberty lead), and White and Brianna McCaffrey scored. McCaffrey's marker with 17:35 remaining, her second of the day, bumped the Liberty lead up to 9-3.
First Half Summary
- Liberty held a significant edge in shots (26-10) through the first 30 minutes. Lady Flames goalkeeper Katherine Widrick kept the Colonials' attack at bay, allowing only three goals while making six saves.
- Lady Flames freshman Hope Flack played a crucial role in the first half, winning five draw control. Liberty won seven total draws in the opening stanza, compared to just three for the hosts. Flack tallied six draw controls in the match.
- Foster, who hails from Sewickley, Pa. (less than 10 minutes from Robert Morris), scored back-to-back goals in the first half, one on a free-position attempt and the other on a feed from Grace Fletcher. Her second goal made it 5-2 with 10:13 left. McCaffrey's goal with 1:58 left sent Liberty into the half with a 6-3 edge.
Second Half Summary
- The two teams both scored four goals in the second half. After Robert Morris had drawn within three (9-6) with 8:34 remaining, White scored her third goal of the afternoon on a feed from Foster to stretch the lead back to four, 10-6, with 7:03 left on the clock. White's goal gave her 100 career points. The junior from Marietta, Ga., has 63 goals and 37 assists in 42 career games.
- Liberty has led at halftime in four of five games this year and is now 4-0 when leading at the break. The Lady Flames held the Colonials off the scoreboard for the final 4:44 of the match.
Key Stats & Notes
- Lady Flames goalkeeper Katherine Widrick notched her third 10-save performance of the year. Widrick now has 10 games of 10 or more saves in her career. She is 4-1 with a 7.40 goals-against-average, a .543 save percentage and 44 saves in five games.
- Liberty outshot Robert Morris 40-21 on Wednesday and also held edges in draw controls (11-8) and caused turnovers (10-9). The Lady Flames also found more success in clearing efforts at 88.8 percent (16-of-18), compared to the Colonials' 75 percent (18-of-24).
- With three goals in the game, Carly White is now up to a team-high 10 goals this season. She also shares the team lead with 15 points.
- Reigning ASUN Player of the Week Brianna McCaffrey had two goals, four ground balls and three caused turnovers on the day.
- Foster's five-point day (2 g, 3 a) gives her 196 career points (88 g, 108 a). Entering Wednesday's game, she ranked No. 16 in the nation among active career leaders in points.
- Liberty has now defeated Robert Morris each of the last two seasons.
- The Lady Flames (4-1, .800) have the best winning percentage among ASUN teams in non-conference action. Coastal Carolina (2-1, .667) is the only other ASUN team currently with a winning record.
- At 4-1, Liberty is in the same position as last year with a meeting with the Richmond Spiders (2-1) looming on Saturday at home. First draw between the Lady Flames and Spiders is set for 1 p.m. at the Liberty Lacrosse Field. Liberty is 1-1 at home in 2019, while Richmond brings a 1-0 record to Lynchburg.
- Liberty is in search of its first-ever win over Richmond. The two squads last met on March 3, 2018 in Richmond, Va., a game won by the Spiders, 12-8. Richmond finished the 2018 season with a No. 20 RPI, and Liberty finished No. 38.