MACON, Ga. - The Atlantic Sun Conference awarded the 2015 A-Sun Women's Lacrosse Scholar-Athlete of the Year award to Detroit's Kylie Birney, announced Monday by the conference office. Birney is joined by 11 other women's lacrosse student-athletes on the Academic All-Conference Team.
Birney, a junior from Plymouth, Mich., earns her first A-Sun Scholar-Athlete of the Year award and her second consecutive selection to the Academic All-Conference team. She holds a 4.00 cumulative GPA and is enrolled in a five-year MBA Program at UDM. On the field she leads the team in goals with this season, 16 coming in conference play. The 32 goals scored is a new single-season high for the junior midfielder.
She has earned UDM Athletic Director's Honor Roll honors in her academic career and has been a team co-captain the past two seasons. She ranked second on the team with 29 draw controls and third in ground balls with 19.
The Academic All-Conference Team recognizes student-athletes who excel both on the field and in the classroom and exemplify the A-Sun's mission of Building Winners for Life. All the members of the team boast a 3.30 cumulative grade point average or better and participated in at least half of their team's games.
WOMEN'S LACROSSE ACADEMIC ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
- * Kylie Birney, Detroit (Junior | 4.00 | MBA Program)
- * Karen Hayde, Old Dominion (Senior | 3.79 | Biology)
- Tessa Keuler, Detroit (Senior | 3.97 | Business & Economics)
- Morgan Lear, Detroit (Senior | 3.84 | MBA Program)
- Jaelin Porter, Howard (Sophomore | 3.85 | Legal & Management Communication)
- Jasmine Wilson, Howard (Sophomore | 4.00 | English)
- Rachel Aus, Jacksonville (Sophomore | 3.54 | Education)
- Jaime Chapman, Jacksonville (Sophomore | 3.89 | Management & Psychology)
- Holly Ventimiglia, Jacksonville (Senior | 3.70 | Physical Education)
- Taylor McGhee, Kennesaw State (Sophomore | 3.78 | Management)
- Morgan Gallagher, Old Dominion (Junior | 3.53 | Interdisciplinary Studies)
- Whitney Meyers, Stetson (Junior | 3.95 | Integrative Health Science)
* - Denotes a unanimous selection