ATLANTA, Ga. - Three ASUN Conference Women's Basketball teams earned victories in Saturday's action. North Alabama was dominate on the court defeating UC Irvine 88-60, FGCU battled down to the wire defeating South Dakota State while North Florida held off Nicholls State.
North Florida led Nicholls State all game after grabbing a 14-6 advantage after the first quarter. The Colonels battled back and put pressure on the Ospreys in the final quarter scoring 26 but it would not be enough as Dasha Eremeeva made a layup and drew the foul, converting the three-point play and sealing the win for UNF.
FGCU battled back and forth with South Dakota State all game and with just seconds left Ashli O'Neal went coast-to-coast for the game winning layup. North Alabama went on an early 12-0 run to take a 16-3 lead in the first quarter and never looked back.
Today's Top ASUN Conference Performances
Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU: 24 Points (8-13 FGs; 6-8 3FGs), 2 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 2 Assists
Brittany Panetti, North Alabama: 20 Points (7-12 FGs; 5-6 FTs), 4 Rebounds
Shakayla Nevitt, Jacksonville: 18 Points (6-13 FGs; 3-4 3FGs), 7 Rebounds, 4 Assists, 2 Steals
Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State: 18 Points (4-9 FGs; 9-10 FTs), 9 Rebounds
Janesha Green, North Florida: 15 Points (6-10 FGs), 6 Rebounds, 3 Assists
Ashtyn Baker, Liberty: 15 Points (6-19 FGs), 4 Rebounds, 2 Assists
What You Need to Know from Today's Wins
North Florida 64, Nicholls State 61
- Head Coach Darrick Gibbs earned his 50th career win at the helm of the Ospreys as his squad improves to 34-9 when leading at the half.
- All eight players that stepped on the court today for UNF scored at least two points. Jazz Bond was the second leading scorer with 14 points while adding six boards and six blocks.
- Bond's six blocks match her own single-game record which she set last season against Warner on Dec. 21. She sits at 77 career blocks which sits fourth in UNF program history and 24 shy of cracking the top 33 in ASUN career history.
FGCU 71, South Dakota St. 70
- The Eagles battled back and forth with the Jackrabbits as the contest saw 10 ties and 14 lead changes, the final change taking place with six seconds left when Ashli O'Neal went coast-to-coast for the game winning layup.
- Tytionia Adderly and Keri Jewett-Giles were named to the Cancun Challenge All-Tournament Team with Adderly being tabbed as the MVP. Adderly led FGCU with 11 rebounds and four assists against SDSU.
- FGCU shot 39.6 percent from the field as a team and 38.2 percent from long range. In the fourth quarter alone, the Eagles shot 53.8 (7-13) from the field while making half of the attempts from distance (5-10).
North Alabama 88, UC Irvine 60
- UNA had five players reach double-digits in today's contest while nine of 12 scored at least four points. Ansley Eubank and Ivy Wallen each had 13 points.
- North Alabama crashed the boards, out-rebounded UC Irvine 53-37. Jaila Roberts led the Lions grabbing eight rebounds while Wallen and Eubank each pulled down seven.
- The Lions stepped to the free throw line 21 times during the contest and shot 81 percent, connecting on 17 of the 21 attempts.
Sunday, Dec. 1
Kennesaw State vs. UMBC - 1 PM
Lipscomb vs. Eastern Illinois - 1:30 PM ET (ESPN+)
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.