ATLANTA, Ga. - The ASUN Conference Women's Basketball season continues this weekend with FGCU sporting only one loss falling to Princeton in a Mid-Major Top-10 matchup. Four other league teams have .500 or better records as the fourth weekend of the season commences. Follow @ASUNWBB on Twitter for live updates throughout the season.
Upcoming Games: vs. South Florida (11/29; 1:30 PM - FloHoops) | vs. South Dakota State (11/30; 1:30 PM - FloHoops) | at Houston (12/4; 3 PM - Cougar All-Access)
Last Three Games: vs. Notre Dame (W, 69-60) | vs. Saint Francis (Pa.) (W, 97-64) | vs. Johnson & Wales (Fla.) (W, 89-56)
- The Eagles lead the ASUN and are ranked No. 1 in the country in three-point field goals made with 86; FGCU has made 13 more than its closest competitor.
- FGCU is also ranked nationally as a team in assist-to-turnover ratio (4th; 1.80), assists (17th; 110), scoring offense (17th; 85.0 PPG) and scoring margin (21st; 28.5).
- Davion Wingate is second in the conference averaging 19.7 PPG and is 56.3 percent (18-for-32) from distance. She has had four games with 15+ points this season including a career-high 29 points in the 72-50 win against UCF.
- Friday marked the first meeting between Head Coach Karl Smesko (3rd, .815) and Muffet McGraw (2nd, .853), two coaches who rank among the top-three winningest women's basketball coaches in Division I history. Both have led their programs to nine-straight 25-win seasons.
- This will be the fifth time that FGCU has faced USF and first since winning 60-55 on Dec. 4, 2013, at Alico Arena to tie the all-time record at 2-2. The Eagles hold a 2-1 all-time record against the SDSU Jackrabbits, falling 80-62 last season.
Upcoming Games: vs. Nicholls State (11/29; 2 PM - ESPN+) | vs. Norfolk State (11/30; 2 PM - ESPN+) | vs. Bethune-Cookman (12/4; 7 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Games: at Colorado (L, 66-44) | vs. USC Upstate (W, 87-43) | vs. Johnson (Fla.) (W, 114-35)
- As a team, the Dolphins are leading the conference and rank fifth in the nation in steals (93) averaging 15.5 per game; they had a season-high 23 in the 87-43 win over USC Upstate.
- Jacksonville is also leading the ASUN in offensive rebounds, averaging 16.8 per game. Jada Perry leads the team averaging 6.8 RPG for a total of 41.
- Destiny Marshall is the leading scorer for Jacksonville through six games averaging 13.5 PPG. The sophomore had a career-high 20 points against No. 12 Florida State and is shooting 45.1 percent from the field (32-for-71).
- In the last outing against Colorado, Alexis Burns was the leading scorer for the Dolphins with 14 points followed by Shakayla Nevvitt with 12. Burns was 60 percent from the field (6-for-10) while shooting 66.7 percent from long range (2-for-3).
- Jacksonville will face Nicholls State for the third time in program history as they look to improve to 3-0. The Dolphins and Norfolk State will meet for the first time since the 2005-06 season when NSU improved to 2-0 winning 79-68.
Kennesaw State (4-2)
Upcoming Games: at Navy (11/30; 3:30 PM) | vs. TBA (12/1; 1 PM) | vs. Georgia Tech (12/8; 2 PM)
Last Three Games: at Campbell (L, 63-51) | at UNCW (W, 58-56) | at Georgia Southern (W, 95-69)
- Two Owls reached double digits in scoring against Campbell. Amani Johnson scored 16 while Carlotta Gianolla went 6-11 from the floor to record 14 points.
- Johnson was a rebound shy of recording her first double-double of the 2019 season. Gianolla averages double figures in scoring (13.0 PPG) and is the team's second-best rebounder (7.2 RPG).
- Through six games, Alexis Poole ranks third in the conference for scoring at 17.0 PPG. Poole is also third-best for field goal percentage (64.6) and rebounds (8.4 RPG).
- Kennesaw State has the ASUN's second-best team field goal percentage at 44.7 percent. The team ranks third in the league at 74.0 PPG.
- Three of the Owls' next four contests alternate between on the road and at home starting with their matchup with Navy in Annapolis, Md. KSU is 2-2 on the road this season and 2-0 at home.
Upcoming Games: vs. Miami (Ohio) (11/29; 4:30 PM) | vs. No. 5 Oregon State (11/30; 2 PM) | vs. East Carolina (12/3; 7 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Games: at James Madison (L, 76-53) | vs. UNCG (L, 58-53) | at Virginia Tech (L, 69-73)
- Liberty will travel out-of-state for the first time this season as its first six contests took place within the state borders of Virginia. The Flames will look for their second win of the season and its first two neutral site victories since the 2015-16 season.
- The Flames have two players averaging double-figure scoring through six contests in Keyen Green (12.8) and Emily Lytle (10.5). Ashtyn Baker is averaging 9.5 PPG after being held to just two against JMU.
- Green also leads the team in rebounding at 7.7 RPG ahead of Bridgette Rettstatt who averages 6.7 boards per outing. The duo both sit in the top-10 of the league in that category tied for fifth and tenth, respectively.
- As a team, Liberty ranks second in the league for offensive rebounds per game with 14.3, while holding the third-best rebounding margin in the ASUN at 5.8 behind Stetson (6.4) and North Alabama (6.0).
- This will be the second all-time meeting between Liberty and Miami (Ohio) and the first meeting between the Flames and the Beavers. On Dec. 8, 1995, the Red Hawks defeated Liberty, 78-40 and holds the 1-0 advantage.
Upcoming Games: vs. Eastern Illinois (12/1; 1:30 PM CT - ESPN+) | at Middle Tennessee (12/4; 11 AM CT - CUSA TV) | at Tennessee State (12/8; 2 PM CT - ESPN+)
Last Two Games: vs. Marist (L, 74-63) | vs. Rider (L, 81-76) | vs. Murray State (L, 67-57)
- Sunday's contest will be the first of seven-straight games within the State of Tennessee, four of which take place in Nashville. Lipscomb hosts Eastern Illinois, Belmont and Queens in the seven-game stretch.
- The Bisons have six players averaging at least 7.0 PPG as the newcomers continue to show a lot of depth as Jalyn Holcomb (13.8) and Dorie Harrison (10.2) lead the squad. Casey Collier sits just outside the duo at 9.3 PPG.
- Lipscomb sits at No. 1 in the nation and at the top of the ASUN for free-throw percentage, connecting on 89 of the 107 trips at the charity stripe (82.2 percent). The Bisons are led by Sydney Shelton (4-40, Short (9-10) and Keely Morrow (8-9; 88.9).
- Holcomb averaged 16.3 PPG and shot 46 percent from the field last week for Lipscomb, earning her Freshman of the Week honors. She scored a career-high 27 points while shooting 69.2 percent from the field in the five-point loss to Rider.
- This will be the first meeting between the Bisons and the Panthers. EIU has faced two current ASUN programs in Jacksonville and Stetson, the last meeting taking place in 2017 against the Hatters.
Upcoming Games: vs. Saint Peter's (12/4; 7 PM - ESPN+) | at Hartford (12/7; 2 PM) | vs. Fairleigh Dickinson (12/10; 7 PM - ESPN+)
Last Three Games: vs. St. Francis Brooklyn (W, 88-69) | at Wagner (L, 61-59) | at Cornell (L, 68-44)
- The Highlanders are just one of three teams in the ASUN with seven contests thus far this season. NJIT earned its first win of the season in the final contest of November at home over St. Francis Brooklyn, 88-69.
- NJIT shares the wealth on the offensive end with five players reaching double-digits in Wednesday's win over the Terriers, led by Maria Fux (19) and Kenna Squier (18).
- Danielle Tunstall is the leading scorer for NJIT averaging 11.1 PPG while grabbing 10.1 RPG. She is the only player in the league to average a double-double.
- The Highlanders and Peacocks are tied at 2-2 in the all-time series with Saint Peter's winning the last meeting 70-57 in the season opener last year.
- In last seasons meeting, Tunstall had a career-high 24 points shooting 83.3 percent from the field (10-for-12) while pulling down 14 rebounds.
North Alabama (3-2)
Upcoming Games: vs. Alabama A&M (11/29; 1 PM CT) | vs. UC-Irvine (11/30; 1 PM) | vs. Oakwood (12/5; 6 PM CT)
Last Three Games: vs. Samford (L, 79-63) | at Tennessee State (W, 88-63) | at Iowa (L, 86-81)
- Brittany Panetti leads the conference in FG percentage (76.9; 30-for-39) and ranks eighth with an average of 14.6 PPG. Her FG percentage would rank second in the NCAA behind Monika Czinano from Iowa who shoots 80.8 percent (21-for-26).
- UNA is the top-scoring team in the ASUN averaging 89.2 PPG with the league's best FG percentage (50.7). The Lions are also tops in assists (23.2 per game) and sit second in rebounds (40.2 per game).
- The Lions have six players averaging 7.2 PPG or more. Ivy Wallen leads the team in scoring, averaging 16.0 PPG while adding 9.4 APG.
- In the teams last outing against Samford, Wallen had a team-high 22 points and finished 7-for-13 from the field. Panetti added 13 points and shot 66.7 from the field (6-for-9).
- This will be UNA's first meeting between both Alabama A&M and UC Irvine. The University of Denver Classic also marks just the third road trip for the Lions this season.
North Florida (4-3)
Upcoming Games: vs. Norfolk State (11/29; 12 PM) | vs. Nicholls State (11/30; 12 PM) | at Indiana (12/7; 7 PM - BTN+)
Last Three Games: vs. Rider (W, 80-70) | vs. Marist (L, 69-54) | at Alabama A&M (W, 73-64)
- Janesha Green earned her first career ASUN Player of the Week honor after averaging 20.7 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.3 steals per contest.
- Green posted a career-high 27 points in the win over Rider in the final ASUN/MAAC Challenge game while Tiffany Tolbert added a career-high also recording 23 points to hand Rider, the 22nd ranked team in the Mid-Major Poll, its second loss this season.
- North Florida is second in the nation in free throws made (121) while ranking eighth in free throws attempted (160). Green ranks seventh in the NCAA with 37 makes from the charity stripe while Bond is shooting 89.7 from the line.
- Two UNF players rank in the Top-5 in the conference in rebounds with Adrienne Jackson ranking fourth with an average of 8.0 RPG while Jazz Bond ranks fifth averaging 7.7.
- The Ospreys hold a 1-0 advantage over Norfolk State and Nicholls with the last meetings ending by scores of 77-74 and 66-40, respectively. North Florida faced Norfolk in 2016, while facing Nicholls for the first time in 2007.
Upcoming Games: vs. Florida National (12/3; 11 AM - ESPN+) | at Penn (12/7; 12 PM - ESPN+) | vs. Tulsa (12/15; 1 PM - ESPN+)
Last Two Games: at UCF (L, 66-40) | vs. Trinity Baptist (W, 116-40) | at No. 23 Tennessee (L, 73-46)
- Day'Neshia Banks reached double figures for the fifth game in a row as she scored 13 against UCF. She currently ranks fifth in the ASUN scoring 15.6 PPG.
- Maddie Novak is also averaging double-digit scoring this season at 10.0 PPG. Novak led the Hatters in scoring against the Knights with 16 points and also reached double figures (18) against St. Francis (Pa.).
- The Hatters lead the league in total rebounding (42.0 RPG) and blocks (4.6 BPG). Megan Vincent's 2.0 BPG ranks second in the conference.
- So far this season, Stetson is out-rebounding its opponents by a margin of 6.4 RPG. The team is holding its opposition to 32.8 percent shooting from the field and 24.5 percent from long range.
- Only one of the Hatters' remaining games this calendar year will take place away from home. After traveling to face Penn on Dec. 7, their next four contests will be in DeLand.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNWBB