ATLANTA, Ga. - Seven ASUN Conference Women's Basketball teams took to the court for the opening night of the 2019-20 season with FGCU, Liberty and Stetson coming away with victories. Kennesaw State and North Alabama open their seasons on Thursday night with a road contest against Georgia and a home game against Virginia-Lynchburg, respectively.
FGCU downed FIU, 100-54, on the Panthers' home court led by an 18-point effort from Nasrin Ulel as the senior guard drained four three's and missed only five shots from the field. Stetson dominated from start to finish at the Edmunds Center in a 31-point victory as the Hatters' Day'Neshia Banks and Megan Vincent combined for 36 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Liberty was led by Ashtyn Baker, who knocked down five threes while adding four free throws for 19 points. Jacksonville, Lipscomb, NJIT and North Florida dropped their season openers as three of the teams were on the road.
Today's Top ASUN Conference Performances
• Day'Neshia Banks, Stetson: 21 Points (8-16 FGs), 7 Rebounds, 4 Assists, 2 Blocks, 2 Steals
• Tiffany Tolbert, North Florida: 20 Points (7-16 FGs; 3-4 3FGs), 3 Assists
• Ashtyn Baker, Liberty: 19 Points (5-9 FGs; 5-7 3FGs), 3 Assists
• Nasrin Ulel, FGCU: 18 Points (7-12 FGs; 4-8 3FGs), 2 Steals, 1 Assist
• Jayln Holcomb, Lipscomb: 16 Points (4-14 FGs; 6-6 FTs), 4 Assists
• Kenna Squier, NJIT: 14 Points (5-9 FGs); 2 Steals, 2 Rebounds
• Shakayla Nevitt, Jacksonville: 12 Points (5-15 FGs), 2 Steals, 1 Rebound
What You Need to Know from Tonight's Wins
• FGCU 100, FIU 54
- FGCU improves to 13-5 all-time in season openers, which includes a 75-55 season-opening win over FIU in 2013.
- The Eagles produced the most points in any quarter of FGCU basketball history with 41 and held FIU to just two points in the second quarter; the 41-point outburst is the highest-scoring second quarter in NCAA history since the switch to quarters (T-5th most in any quarter).
- FGCU is now 11-0 against FIU in a series that dates back to their first meeting in 2009; Tonight's win also marked the largest margin of victory over the Panthers (46 pts).
• Stetson 77, Palm Beach Atlantic 46
- Stetson improved to 10-2 in home openers under Head Coach Lynn Bria, who enters her 12th season at the helm of the Hatters.
- The Hatters won their 81st consecutive game when scoring 74 points or more while extending their win streak to 23 in a row when leading after three quarters.
- Stetson tallied 30 points from its bench tonight, scored 28 off turnovers and 42 in the paint.
• Liberty 67, Norfolk State 48
- Liberty avenged its 66-53 loss to Norfolk State from last season with the win, improving to 8-1 all-time against the Spartans, including a 4-0 mark in Norfolk.
- The Flames shot out shot the Spartans 40 percent - 31 percent from the field while winning the battle on the boards 48-34.
- Liberty will tip off its 30th and final season at the Vines Center on Friday, Nov. 8 as they play hosts to ETSU.
Thursday, Nov. 7
Kennesaw State at Georgia - 7 PM ET (SEC Network+)
FGCU vs. Webber International - 7 PM ET (ESPN+)
North Alabama vs. Virginia-Lynchburg - 6 PM CT (ESPN+)
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.