ATLANTA, Ga. – The ASUN Conference announced its 2019-20 Women's Basketball schedule on Wednesday with each of the nine teams slated to play a 16-game double round-robin schedule beginning Saturday, Jan. 4. The upcoming year marks the 35th season of competition in the ASUN.
The conference schedule gets started Jan. 4 with reigning regular season and tournament champions FGCU hosting Lipscomb. Three other contests on opening day include Liberty at NJIT, North Florida at North Alabama and Stetson at Kennesaw State. Jacksonville gets its conference season underway on Jan. 6 on the road at North Alabama.
The first matchup between the ASUN Championship Final participants from a year ago, FGCU and Liberty, takes place Jan. 6 in Fort Myers. Feb. 1 marks the return game as the Eagles travel to the Flames. ASUN Championship Semifinal rematches between FGCU and Kennesaw State take place Jan. 20 (Fort Myers) and Feb. 17 (Kennesaw), while Liberty and North Florida battle Jan. 27 (Jacksonville) and Feb. 24 (Lynchburg).
Other highlighted matchups include games between last season's top-two teams in FGCU and Stetson. The Hatters host the Eagles on Jan. 11 followed by the second contest on Feb. 10 in Fort Myers. Meanwhile, Liberty and North Alabama, both entering their second year in the ASUN and finished the 2018-19 season tied with 10-6 conference records, square off Jan. 13 (Lynchburg) and Feb. 8 (Florence).
Three teams concluded the 2018-19 campaign with postseason tournament berths led by NCAA Tournament participant, FGCU. Stetson earned the conference's automatic bid to the WNIT, while North Alabama won a pair of games in the WBI advancing to the semifinals during its first year as a Division I institution.
2019-20 Women's Basketball League Schedule Highlights
• Total of 72 league games, starting Jan. 4 and ending March 2
• Each team plays 16 games, facing every other team both home-and-away
• New Lipscomb Head Coach Lauren Sumski patrols the sidelines for her first conference game against defending champion FGCU in Alico Arena on Jan. 4
• River City Rumble dates between Jacksonville and North Florida are slated for Jan. 20 (at JU) and Feb. 17 (at UNF)
• The first rematch of ASUN Championship Final game participants FGCU and Liberty is set for opening weekend (Jan. 6) in Florida. The second contest in Virginia is slated for Feb. 1
• The 2019 ASUN Conference Women's Basketball Championship dates are set for March 7, 11 and 15