ATLANTA, Ga. - North Alabama's Brittany Panetti, FGCU's Destiny Washington and Kennesaw State's Amani Johnson each performed at the top of their game to open conference play and have been recognized as ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly award winners, announced by the league office on Monday.
In the first ASUN Conference game for North Alabama, ASUN Conference Player of the Week Brittany Panetti became a show-stopping force to lead her team to an overtime victory, 70-64 at North Florida. A junior forward, Panetti topped all ASUN players during the first day of league action with 28 points and 13 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. Playing 41 minutes in the long contest, the Texas native topped 20 points for the third time in her last four games, falling just shy of her season-high 29 set against Martin Methodist. Adding a pair of blocks as well, she has gone four-straight games with multiple blocks to raise her season total to 23. The second Player of the Week honor this season for Panetti, she gives the Lions three overall in their first season of Division I competition.
FGCU's fourth Newcomer of the Week Award for the season comes from Destiny Washington after she scored 10 points and finished one rebound away from her first double-double of the year. Helping FGCU defeat Liberty at home, the Ball State transfer registered her second double-digit scoring contest of the season after going three of six from the floor and hitting a trio of shots from the charity stripe. Included in Washington's makes were her 11th career three-pointer and seventh since joining FGCU prior to the season. Also a defensive presence for the Eagles, the Indianapolis product ranks fourth in the ASUN with 1.1 BPG, one of just five players to average at least one block per contest. Her honor joins fellow newcomers Keri Jewett-Giles and Davion Wingate as Eagles to win Newcomer of the Week this season.
Amani Johnson wins her third Freshman of the Week honor after claiming the first two of the 2018-19 season, continuing Kennesaw State's recent run of dominant youth in the league. The Pennsylvania native opened her first run of conference play with 15 points at NJIT, helping to keep the contest that featured 12 lead changes a thriller throughout. Johnson helped on the defensive end as well, totaling six steals for a new career-high after nabbing five in the first game of her collegiate career. The guard's value has been felt far outside the ASUN as she leads all freshmen in the country by averaging 38.1 MPG, more than a whole minute ahead of Ciaja Harbison from Saint Louis. Johnson's honor is the ninth all-time for Kennesaw State since the award was established last season, giving the Owls more than any other ASUN program.
ASUN Women's Basketball Player of the Week - Jan. 7th
Brittany Panetti, North Alabama
Junior | Forward | Katy, Texas | Marketing
- Second Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week honor; third for North Alabama this season
- Helped guide North Alabama to first-ever ASUN victory vs. North Florida in overtime, 70-64
- Led all ASUN players with 28 points and 13 rebounds in conference play openers
- Third game of 20 points or more in the last four contests, topping out at 29 vs. Martin Methodist
- Leads all ASUN players with 17.0 PPG, 1.2 PPG ahead of Kamiyah Street (KSU) and Nasrin Ulel (FGCU)
Other Nominees: Nasrin Ulel, FGCU; Kamiyah Street, Kennesaw State; Kelly Guarino, NJIT; Sarah Sagerer, Stetson
.@Britt44P went off on the competition and helped lead @UNAHOOPS to their first-ever #ASUNWBB victory! For that, she has been named the Player of the Week for the second time this season #roarlions— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) January 7, 2019
READ MORE: https://t.co/KJcNxd1IpY pic.twitter.com/Y3tnuH0vSM
ASUN Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Jan. 7th
Destiny Washington, FGCU
Senior | Guard/Forward | Indianapolis, Ind.
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week award; fourth for FGCU this season
- Scored 10 points in FGCU's conference-opening victory against Liberty
- Finished with nine rebounds to fall just shy of her first double-double of the year
- Hit just her 11th career three-pointer to increase FGCU's lead to 26 in the third quarter
- Ranks fourth in the ASUN with 1.1 BPG in her first season in the league
Other Nominees: Simina Avram, Kennesaw State; Jazz Bond, North Florida.
.@DesWashington_ had a stellar outing against Liberty, leading to her first #ASUNWBB Newcomer of the Week honor! #WingsUp #RainingThrees @FGCU_WBB— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) January 7, 2019
READ MORE: https://t.co/KJcNxd1IpY pic.twitter.com/wOCFL6AvA6
ASUN Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week - Jan. 7th
Amani Johnson, Kennesaw State
Freshman | Guard | North Versailles, Pa. | Exercise Science
- Third Career ASUN Conference Freshman of the Week Award; third this season for Kennesaw State
- Poured on 15 points against NJIT in the first ASUN Conference matchup of her career
- Recorded a career-high six steals, her second game of five or more steals this season
- Tops all freshmen in the country with 38.1 MPG, a whole minute per game ahead of Ciaja Harbison of Saint Louis
- Leads all freshmen in the ASUN with 10.4 PPG, 3.2 PPG above Kailey Rosenbaum of Lipscomb
Congratulations to @amanijohnson_ of @KSUOwlsWBB for winning the #ASUNWBB Freshman of the Week after opening her first run of league play with 15 points at NJIT! #GoKSUOwls— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) January 7, 2019
READ MORE: https://t.co/KJcNxd1IpY pic.twitter.com/q8ulCN3vEi
ASUN Women's Basketball 2018-19 Weekly Winners
Nov. 12th - Player: Kamiyah Street, KSU | Newcomer: Emily Lytle, Liberty | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 19th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 26th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Johne' Stewart, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd - Player: Chandler Ryan, FGCU | Newcomer: Simina Avram, KSU | Freshman: Lauren Gross, North Florida
Dec. 10th - Player: Brittany Panetti, UNA | Newcomer: Addi Walters, Stetson | Freshman: Mya McMillian, Liberty
Dec. 17th - Player: Kelly Guarino, NJIT | Newcomer: Davion Wingate, FGCU | Freshman: Tanner Bryant, FGCU
Dec. 23rd - Player: Ivy Wallen, UNA & Sarah Sagerer, Stetson | Newcomer: Jazz Bond, UNF | Freshman: Bianca Fizouaty, Stetson
Jan. 1st - Player: Rolanda Hayes, Jacksonville | Newcomer: Jon'Nita Henry, Stetson | Freshman: Kailey Rosenbaum, Lipscomb
Jan. 7th - Player: Brittany Panetti, UNA | Newcomer: Destiny Washington, FGCU | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU