ATLANTA, Ga. - North Alabama's Ivy Wallen, North Florida's Jazz Bond and Stetson's Bianca Fizouaty and Sarah Sagerer had excellent showings on the court to close out the pre-holiday schedule and have been recognized as ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly award winners, announced by the league office on Sunday.
Sagerer and Wallen shared Player of the Week honors after each approached triple-double territory in victories for their teams. Wallen started the week on Monday with a 33 point, eight rebound, seven assist effort against Mississippi Valley State, improving the UNA overall record to 9-1 to close out non-conference play. Just one point shy of tying a career-high in points, the 33 mark helped Wallen become the 16th player in North Alabama history to join the 1,000 point club, joining her sister Emma who did so just 15 days prior.
Stetson's Sarah Sagerer averaged 16.3 PPG over three contests while helping the Hatters to a three-game sweep of the Hatters Classic. Her best effort came in the final contest vs. North Dakota State where the senior forward notched 21 points, 13 rebounds and added seven blocks as the Hatters completed a comeback victory. During the game, she became the ninth player in ASUN history to amass 200 career blocks and did so with an astounding six in the third quarter alone vs. the Bisons.
Fellow Hatter Bianca Fizouaty was instrumental in two of the team's victories at home, leading to her first ASUN Freshman of the Week honor. Averaging 9.5 PPG over a pair of contests, the Georgia native hit all five of her three-point attempts during the Classic, including three against North Dakota State. Her biggest impact was felt in the fourth quarter of that contest, as she hit one three-pointer to tie the game at 45 and then later hit the game-winner with 57 seconds to go, banking in a long three as the shot clock was winding down.
Jazz Bond of North Florida claims her first career ASUN Newcomer of the Week after leading the Ospreys to a 1-1 week while playing in the UNF Holiday Classic. A transfer from South Florida, Bond averaged 13.0 PPG while also adding 8.5 RPG and 5.5 BPG. In her first start of the year against Warner, the junior scored 13 points while pulling down nine boards and adding six blocks. During the team's win , her six blocks in the contest tied the UNF single-game record as the team cruised to its fifth home victory of the season.
ASUN Women's Basketball Players of the Week - Dec. 23rd
Ivy Wallen, North Alabama
Junior | Guard | Anderson, Ala. | Criminal Justice
- First Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week honor; second for North Alabama season
- Scored a season-high 33 points in road victory vs. Mississippi Valley State
- Added eight rebounds and seven assists to approach a triple-double for the first time in her career
- Crossed the 1,000 point mark in her career with UNA as part of her 33-point output against MVSU
- Drained 11-of-22 total shots vs. MVSU, including seven-of-12 from beyond the arc
Sarah Sagerer, Stetson
Senior | Forward | Schörfling, Austria | MBA
- Fourth Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week honor; first since the 2016-17 season
- Averaged 16.3 PPG, 9.0 RPG and 3.7 BPG in Stetson's three-game home sweep of the Hatters Classic
- Became just the ninth player in ASUN history to record 200 blocks in a career
- Recorded seven blocks vs. North Dakota State with six coming in a dominant third quarter for the senior forward
- Notched her third double-double of the season vs. NDSU behind 21 points and 13 boards, her second such game this season
Other Nominees: Nasrin Ulel, FGCU; Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State; Jazz Bond, North Florida.
ASUN Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 23rd
Jazz Bond, North Florida
Junior | Forward | Murfreesboro, Tenn. | Health Science
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week award; first for North Florida this season
- Helped guide the Ospreys to a 1-1 mark during the UNF Holiday Classic
- Averaged 13.0 PPG during the two-game set, scoring 13 against both Alabama A&M and Warner
- Added 8.5 RPG and 5.5 BPG in the two games. Six blocks vs. Warner tied UNF single-game record
- In first start of the season, scored 13 points while pulling down nine rebounds and blocking six shots vs. Warner
Other Nominees: Davion Wingate, FGCU; Simina Avram, Kennesaw State; Day'Neshia Banks, Stetson.
ASUN Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week - Dec. 23rd
Bianca Fizouaty, Stetson
Freshman | Guard | Lawrenceville, Ga. | Health Sciences
- First Career ASUN Conference Freshman of the Week Award; eighth all-time for Stetson
- Helped Stetson to two wins in a 3-0 week while hosting the Hatters Classic
- Averaged 9.5 PPG and 3.5 RPG in two games of action off the bench
- Went five-for-five from deep during the Classic, notching three made three-pointers vs. NDSU
- Hit the game-winning shot vs. NDSU as the shot-clock expired with just 57 seconds to go
Other Nominees: Amani Johnson, Kennesaw State; Mya McMillian, Liberty.
ASUN Women's Basketball 2018-19 Weekly Winners
Nov. 12th - Player: Kamiyah Street, KSU | Newcomer: Emily Lytle, Liberty | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 19th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 26th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Johne' Stewart, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd - Player: Chandler Ryan, FGCU | Newcomer: Simina Avram, KSU | Freshman: Lauren Gross, North Florida
Dec. 10th - Player: Brittany Panetti, UNA | Newcomer: Addi Walters, Stetson | Freshman: Mya McMillian, Liberty
Dec. 17th - Player: Kelly Guarino, NJIT | Newcomer: Davion Wingate, FGCU | Freshman: Tanner Bryant, FGCU
Dec. 23rd - Player: Ivy Wallen, UNA & Sarah Sagerer, Stetson | Newcomer: Jazz Bond, UNF | Freshman: Bianca Fizouaty, Stetson