JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida women's basketball dug themselves into a hole vs. FIU on Tuesday night, facing a 14-0 deficit to open the game before climbing back to escape with a 62-53 victory over the Panthers at UNF Arena.
The Ospreys improve to 4-3 on the season while FIU drops to 2-7.
Janesha Green: 15 points, 8 rebounds
Adrienne Jackson: 13 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals
Paula Orenes: 17 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
Ieva Spigule: 11 points, 3 rebounds
Inside the 1st Quarter
It was a slow start for both teams as the game opened with a three minute scoreless drought. The Panther opened the scoring with a basket beyond the arc before tacking on 11 more points to take a 14-0 lead. UNF capped the quarter with five points in the final minute on a pair of free throws from Dasha Eremeevaand a three by Green to trim the FIU lead to 14-5.
Inside the 2nd Quarter
Continuing off the rally at the end of the first quarter, UNF reeled off five points from an Elli Bartley trey and layup by Ty Purifoy before a 14-6 Osprey run that put North Florida ahead 24-20 with 3:31 left after a three by Jackson. The Ospreys shot 44.4 percent from the field, including 5-of-9 from beyond the arc to take a 26-25 lead into the locker room.
Inside the 3rd Quarter
The Panthers scored on three consecutive possessions to take their final lead of the game at 41-36 with 1:16 remaining in the quarter. The Ospreys connected on free throws from Purifoy and a Eremeeva layup to make it a 41-40 game going into the final 10 minutes. UNF shot 29.4 percent from the field while being outscored by a basket in the frame.
Inside the 4th Quarter
Arianna Emanuel-Wright and Green combined to lead the Ospreys on an 8-2 rally to open the quarter and give the Ospreys a 48-43 lead with 5:33 left. FIU tied the game at 51 on a three with 4:03 remaining before Jackson and Emanuel-Wright scored on three straight possessions to lead UNF to a 57-51 advantage with 1:20 left. Jackson and Green knocked down a free throw apiece in the final seconds to clinch the 62-53 victory.
Thoughts From the Top
"I really love this group. They are great people, and this win was a direct reflection of the character these young ladies have and the toughness they play with. We had different people step up at different times and made huge plays on both sides of the ball. It's really exciting to see their growth as the season goes on." – head coach Darrick Gibbs
Inside the Box Score
- North Florida shot 35.9 percent from the field while FIU notched a 29.2 percent shooting percentage and outrebounded the Ospreys 46-44.
- The Ospreys posted double digit advantages in points off turnovers (15-5) and fast breaks (14-4) and registered an 18-10 advantage in points in the paint.
- Emanuel-Wright tallied 12 points and seven rebounds with 10 points coming in the final quarter.
- Eremeeva scored in double-figures for the fourth time this season and grabbed five boards.
- Purifoy scored six points while grabbing a career-high eight rebounds and dishing out a season-high five assists.
- UNF extended its home-winning streak to five games, dating back to last season.
- The victory marks the first all-time win over FIU in program history.
The Ospreys travel to Daytona Beach, Fla. on Saturday to take on Bethune-Cookman at 3 p.m.