ATLANTA, Ga. - Liberty's Mya McMillian, Brittany Panetti of North Alabama and Stetson's Addi Walters were at the top of their game as non-conference play continued and have been recognized as ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly award winners, announced by the league office on Monday.
Panetti collects the first individual honor in North Alabama history as a member of the ASUN, claiming the Player of the Week award following her 29-point outburst against Martin Methodist. A season-high in scoring, the junior achieved that mark with a 12-of-13 performance from the floor, making 12-straight shots after missing her first attempt. The former New Mexico product also contributed to the winning effort with four rebounds and four blocks. Her second-straight 25-point effort, Panetti now leads the ASUN in scoring at 17.1 PPG and tops the conference in field goal percentage, draining 77.1% of her attempts from the floor.
Walters wins her first individual honor with the ASUN as well as the former Cal State-Bakersfield product displayed her sharpshooting abilities at #9 Tennessee last week. The three-point specialist drained three shots from deep against the Lady Vols, all coming in the first half as the Hatters raced out to a 38-22 lead at the half. Her third-straight double-digit scoring effort, Walters has averaged 16.6 PPG over the last three contests including 14.5 PPG against SEC foes after notching 12 at Alabama. During that streak, the California native has also made at least three three-pointers each time as she has started to heat up as winter approaches.
McMillian becomes the first Flames player to win ASUN Freshman of the Week honors after scoring a career-high eight points in the team's road win against ETSU. An 86-83 finish, McMillian contributed late in the contest with a couple of points as well as key rebounds to withstand the comeback effort from the Bucs. She helped the Flames to an overall 47-27 rebounding advantage, including 17 offensive boards that led to 21 second-chance points. Through eight games, McMillian averages 4.0 PPG and 5.0 RPG when playing 20+ minutes, becoming a key contributor as non-conference play rolls on for Liberty.
ASUN Women's Basketball Player of the Week - Dec. 10th
Brittany Panetti, North Alabama
Junior | Forward | Katy, Texas | Marketing
- First Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week honor; first individual ASUN honor in North Alabama history
- Scored a season-high 29 points against Martin Methodist, securing her second-straight game with 25 points or more
- Moved into first place in the ASUN, averaging 17.1 PPG after raising her scoring average 2.8 points in the last two games
- Shot 12-of-13 from the floor against Martin Methodist, hitting 12-straight after missing her first shot
- Leads the ASUN with a 77.1 field goal percentage through nine games; 13% higher than Simina Avram of KSU
Other Nominees: Nasrin Ulel, FGCU; Ashtyn Baker, Liberty; Danielle Tunstall, NJIT; Sarah Sagerer, Stetson.
.@Britt44P had a monster contest in @UNAHOOPS' latest win, notching 29 points and four blocks in a double-digit victory!— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) December 10, 2018
For the first time in @UNAAthletics history, Panetti garners the #ASUNWBB Player of the Week honor! #roarlions
READ MORE: https://t.co/Rjmfge4cV8 pic.twitter.com/SIpoBvK2RH
ASUN Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 10th
Addi Walters, Stetson
Junior | Guard | San Francisco, Calif. | Psychology
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week award; first for Stetson this season
- Scored 17 points against #9 Tennessee, her second double-digit scoring game against an SEC foe this season
- Contributed 13 first quarter points and helped the Hatters to a 38-22 lead over Tennessee at the half
- Has notched three-straight games with double figures, averaging 16.6 PPG in that span
- Averaged 14.5 PPG against SEC opponents in two games after scoring 12 at Alabama
Other Nominees: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU; Emily Lytle, Liberty.
.@addi_jeanne was on �� against the Lady Vols, notching 13 points in the first quarter to help @StetsonWBB to a big first half! She has been named the #ASUNWBB Newcomer of the Week for her efforts against the 9th-ranked Lady Vols #HatsOff— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) December 10, 2018
READ MORE: https://t.co/Rjmfge4cV8 pic.twitter.com/6jmeIu1nWw
ASUN Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week - Dec. 10th
Mya McMillian, Liberty
Freshman | Forward | Marble Falls, Texas | Finance
- First Career ASUN Conference Freshman of the Week Award; first in Liberty program history
- Came off the bench to help Liberty to its first road win of the season, improving to 2-6 overall
- Tallied a career-high eight points against ETSU on the road in the Flames' 89-86 victory
- Presence in the post helped Liberty to a 47-27 rebounding advantage vs. ETSU
- Helped contribute to a group that secured 21 second-chance points off of 17 offensive rebounds
Mya McMillian had a career-high performance vs. ETSU, helping @LibertyWBB to hold off the Bucs for the road victory! For that, she has been named the #ASUNWBB Freshman of the Week! #GoFlames— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) December 10, 2018
READ MORE: https://t.co/Rjmfge4cV8 pic.twitter.com/2PWyu606OS
ASUN Women's Basketball 2018-19 Weekly Winners
Nov. 12th - Player: Kamiyah Street, KSU | Newcomer: Emily Lytle, Liberty | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 19th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 26th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Johne' Stewart, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd - Player: Chandler Ryan, FGCU | Newcomer: Simina Avram, KSU | Freshman: Lauren Gross, North Florida
Dec. 10th - Player: Brittany Panetti, UNA | Newcomer: Addi Walters, Stetson | Freshman: Mya McMillian, Liberty