ATLANTA, Ga. - FGCU's Keri Jewett-Giles and Johne' Stewart of Jacksonville were bright spots in multiple wins for each of their teams last weekend and have been selected as the ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly award winners, announced by the conference office on Monday.
Jewett-Giles repeats as both Player of the Week and Newcomer of the Week to mark the first time in ASUN history in which that feat has occurred. The transfer from Southern Miss upped her game from last week for FGCU, pouring on 18.3 PPG during the Rainbow Wahine Showdown against #7 Stanford, Hawaii and 2018 NCAA Tournament participant American. The Fort Myers native topped her weekend performance with a season-high 22 points in the first half vs. American to lead all scorers in a 90-71 victory. She now has 15 or more points in five-straight games which has helped the Eagles to go 4-1 over their last five contests.
Stewart wins her first career ASUN weekly honor as well as the first Freshman of the Week award for Jacksonville in the program's history. Coming off the bench in the final minute of the game vs. Old Dominion, Stewart made good on her time on the court as she sank a game-tying three-pointer from way downtown to send the contest into overtime. In the extra period, the Memphis native notched the first five points to finish with a career-high eight points. She broke that mark just a day later, scoring 18 in a 68-58 win vs. Charleston Southern on the road to even the Dolphins' overall record at 3-3 heading into their next game vs. Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday, Nov. 28
ASUN Women's Basketball Player of the Week & Newcomer of the Week - Nov. 26th
Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU
Junior | Guard | Fort Myers, Fla. | Sport Management
- Second Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week honor & Newcomer of the Week award
- Second-consecutive week in which Giles has been named the Player and Newcomer of the Week; first to do so in ASUN history
- Averaged 18.3 PPG while playing at the Rainbow Wahine Showdown in Honolulu vs. Stanford, Hawaii and American
- Led all scorers with 22 points - all in the first half - in a 90-71 win against American, a team who made the NCAA Tournament last season
- Has now scored at least 15 points in five-straight contests dating back to November 12 vs. Florida Memorial
- Southern Miss transfer shot 50% from the floor in three games as well as averaging 2.3 APG and 1.7 RPG
Other Player of the Week Nominees: Trudy Walker, Jacksonville; Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State; Emily Lytle, Liberty; Kelly Guarino, NJIT; Savannah Stults, North Alabama.
Other Newcomer of the Week Nominees: Emily Lytle, Liberty; Jon'Nita Henry, Stetson.
ASUN Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week - Nov. 26th
Johne' Stewart, Jacksonville
Freshman | Guard | Memphis, Tenn.
- First Career ASUN Conference Freshman of the Week Award; first in Jacksonville program history
- Came off the bench in three games to average 9.3 PPG off 50% shooting and 40% from three-point range
- Appearing in the final minute against Old Dominion, Stewart hit the game-tying three point shot at the buzzer to send the game into overtime
- Raised her season scoring average to 5.6 PPG last week after being held scoreless in her first two appearances vs. Webber International and Florida State
- Scored the Dolphins' first five points in the overtime period vs. ODU to total a then career-high eight points in the contest
- Broke her career-high in scoring the next game vs. Charleston Southern as she tallied 18 points in a 68-58 Jacksonville victory
Other Nominees: Amani Johnson, Kennesaw State; Bionca Fizouaty, Stetson.
ASUN Women's Basketball 2018-19 Weekly Winners
Nov. 12th - Player: Kamiyah Street, KSU | Newcomer: Emily Lytle, Liberty | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 19th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 26th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Johne' Stewart, Jacksonville