KENNESAW, Ga. – The backcourt tandem of Amani Johnson and Kamiyah Street, and a strong inside game, proved to be a winning formula as the Kennesaw State women's basketball team defeated Furman, 74-63, Wednesday night at the KSU Convocation Center.
Johnson and Street were a mismatch for Furman (1-2) as the duo combined for 42 points. Meanwhile, forward Alexis Poole recorded her second straight double-double, scoring 12 points and collecting a season-high 11 rebounds for the Owls (2-2).
Street scored a game-high 25 points, totaled five assists and three steals, while Johnson finished with a career-high 17 points, five assists and four steals.
Kennesaw State led 32-28 at the half as Poole tallied nine points and eight rebounds. Seven KSU players scored in the first half, including Johnson and Street, who had six points apiece.
After trailing 19-14 at the end of the opening quarter, Kennesaw State outscored Furman, 18-9 in the second quarter while shooting 46.7 percent (7-for-15) from the field. Defensively, the Owls limited the Paladins to 28.6 percent shooting (4-for-14), forced five turnovers and held the visitors scoreless over the final three minutes.
- Kennesaw State started two freshmen (Amani Johnson, Erica Moore), two sophomores (Alexis Poole, Kamiyah Street) and one junior (Carlotta Gianolla).
- Guard Erica Moore made her first career start Wednesday versus Furman.
- Senior guard Iceis Walker, who played xx minutes, moved into sole possession of ninth place on the KSU NCAA Division I games played list with 86.
- Sophomore Alexis Poole recorded her third double-double of the season and has nine in 30 career games.
- The Owls had at least three players (Johnson, Poole, Street) score in double figures for the third time in four games this season. KSU had four individuals score 10 or more points in its season opener versus Middle Georgia State.
Kennesaw State returns to action on Sunday when it travels to Greenville, N.C. to take on East Carolina beginning at 5 p.m.
ASUN Conference Women's Basketball Upcoming Schedule - Nov. 15, 2018
Jacksonville at Florida State - 7 PM (ACCN Extra)
Lipscomb at Alabama A&M - 7 PM