FORT MYERS, Fla. -- No. 3 FGCU shutout No. 5 Kennesaw State by a 2-0 score Friday morning in the ASUN Conference Softball Complex, eliminating the defending champion Owls from title contention.
FGCU went up early with a pair of runs on three hits in the first inning and as it turned out that's all the help Riley Randolph needed as she allowed only two hits. Kate Kelly led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a ground ball out by McKenna Batterton. Back-to-back doubles by Freshman of the Year Reedy Davenport and Haley Morrell gave the Eagles a 2-0 lead.
Both hits for the Owls were of the lead-off variety. Brea Dickey doubled to start the third inning but was left stranded at second base. KSU's Christen Florence began the top of the seventh inning with a single and advanced to second on a one-out walk by Kira Czyrklis. Randolph got the next two batters to fly out ending the threat and the game.
Kelly led the Eagles with two hits in the game and Randolph (18-8) notched her 18th victory of the season. Randolph, the senior Second Team All-Conference selection, went the distance and registered two strikeouts. KSU's Hailey Andrews (18-19) suffered the loss for the Owls.
With the win, FGCU advances and will take on the winner of (4) North Alabama vs. (6) North Florida today at 4:30 PM ET. Kennesaw State concludes its season with a 26-29 overall mark.
No. 3 FGCU vs. No. 5 Kennesaw State Game Notes
- FGCU moves to 6-1 vs. Kennesaw State all-time in ASUN Softball Championship history and 2-3 as the No. 3 seed.
- The Eagles improve to 14-11 in the Championship all-time, while Kennesaw State drops to 12-18 all-time.
- FGCU remains in contention to advance to its third title game in the last four years.
- The Eagles move on to face the winner of the next game between (4) North Alabama and (6) North Florida at 4:30 PM ET later today.
- On the year, FGCU improves to 29-21, while KSU ends its season at 26-29.
Tweets by @ASunSoftball