ATLANTA, Ga. - A pair of freshmen made their mark in the opening week of ASUN Conference Softball as North Alabama's Lexie Harper & Lipscomb's Katie Turner earned the weekly awards, announced by the league office on Monday afternoon.
Harper helped North Alabama to an undefeated start to the season with wins vs. UAB & Alcorn State. A freshman from Smryna, Tenn., Harper notched two hits in each contest as she totaled four runs, four stolen bases and an RBI. The 3-0 start to the season is the first for the Lions since 2016 when UNA captured the NCAA Division II National Title.
Lipscomb opened the year with a 3-2 record thanks to the play of freshman Katie Turner, who registered two wins in the circle. Against Samford, Turner fanned nine batters in a one-hit shutout of the Bulldogs. In Saturday's 6-1 win vs. McNeese State, Turner continued her impressive debut with five strikeouts and only three hits allowed against a squad that reached the 2018 NCAA Regionals. A Ramer, Tenn. native, she added five hits including three doubles and four RBIs.
ASUN Conference Softball Player of the Week - Feb. 11th
Lexie Harper, North Alabama
Freshman | Outfield | Smryna, Tenn.
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week award; first-ever honor for the Lions
- Guided North Alabama to a 3-0 record for the first time since the 2016 season
- Recorded two hits in all three of UNA's victories against UAB & Alcorn State
- Scored four total runs and swiped four bases on the week, while batting .500
- Added an RBI in Friday's win at Alcorn State with a run and three stolen bases
Other Nominees: Mikenzie Vaughn, FGCU; Kira Czyrklis, Kennesaw State; Jaclyn Amader, Liberty; Jordan Fortel, Lipscomb.
ASUN Conference Softball Pitcher the Week - Feb. 11th
Katie Turner, Lipscomb
Freshman | Pitcher/Infielder | Ramer, Tenn. | Exercise Science
- First Career ASUN Pitcher of the Week award; 37th all-time for Lipscomb
- Registered a 2-0 record in the circle and posted a 0.50 ERA vs. Samford & McNeese State
- Recorded a one-hit shutout vs. the Bulldogs with nine strikeouts on Friday
- Followed with a 6-1 win vs. McNeese on Sunday on three hits and five fanned batters
- Added five hits, three doubles and four RBIs on the week at the plate