ATLANTA, Ga. - Lipscomb's Brent Leber and Ronald Kigen were named the ASUN Conference Men's Cross Country Runner and Freshman of the Week, respectively, it was announced Wednesday by the league office. Leber earned the award for the third time in his career, and the second time this season, while Kigen claimed the first of his career.
Men's Cross Country Runners of the Week
Brent Leber, Lipscomb
Junior | Myersville, Md.
- Third Career Runner of the Week honor; second this season for Lipscomb
- Finished eighth out of 373 runners at the Greater Louisville Classic 8K
- Marked a program-record time of 23:49.8; led the team to a fourth-place finish in a 41-team field
- Finished before the top runners from regionally-ranked Appalachian State (No. 15, Southeast Region) and Vanderbilt (No. 15, South Region)
- Also topped team members from Middle Tennessee State (No. 2, South Region), Louisville (No. 8, Southeast Region) and Campbell (No. 9, Southeast Region)
Other Nominees: Lucas Kiprotich, FGCU; Mekhi Williams, Kennesaw State; Ryan Budhu, NJIT; Tristen Montalvo, Stetson.
Men's Cross Country Freshman of the Week
Ronald Kigen, Lipscomb
Freshman | Newark, N.J.
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor; first-ever for Lipscomb
- Placed 51st at the Greater Louisville Classic 8K out of a field of 373 runners
- Time of 24:37.0 was the third-best on the Bisons; finished seventh among freshmen in the race
- Beat runners from regionally-ranked Campbell (No. 9, Southeast Region), Memphis (No. 13, South Region) and Vanderbilt (No. 15, South Region)
- Lipscomb takes the course again Friday, Oct. 18, at the Blazer Classic in Montevallo, Ala.
Other Nominees: Reyden Davies, NJIT; Joey Tolman, Stetson.
2019 Season Award Winners
Oct. 9th | Runner: Brent Leber, Lipscomb; Freshman: Ronald Kigen, Lipscomb
Oct. 2nd | Runner: Felix Kandie, Liberty Freshman: Joe Spitzer, Liberty
Sept. 25th | Runner: Peyton Ewoldt, North Alabama; Freshman: Brandon Lee, North Alabama
Sept. 18th | Runners: Nathan Jubran, North Florida & Brent Leber, Lipscomb; Freshman: Aidan O'Gorman, North Florida
Sept. 11th | Runners: Peyton Ewoldt, North Alabama & Felix Kandie, Liberty; Freshman: Brandon Lee, North Alabama
Sept. 4th | Runner: Felix Kandie, Liberty; Freshman: Joey Tolman, Stetson
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNXCTF