LakePoint, Ga. - Lipsomb's Juan Gonzalez broke a school record to earn ASUN Track Athlete of the Week as Kennesaw State's Dayo Akindele set multiple conference bests to take ASUN Field Athlete of the Week, as announced by the league office this Wednesday.
Gonzalez set a new program record with his time of 8:11.59 in the Husky Classic 3000m this past weekend, while he and teammate Jacob Poyner both surpasseded the previous Bisons' all time mark. The long distance runner came in 39th overall among a competitive field of 109, while finishing ahead of runners form nine different power-five schools. Gonzalez' time is the best in the ASUN this year, with his and Poyner's runs pacing just under three seconds ahead of remaining conference athletes.
Dayo Akindele had a huge weekend for Kennesaw State at this Friday and Saturday's Music City Challenge, helping the Owls to win their fourth consecutive ASUN Field Athlete of the Week Award on the men's side alone. Akindele grabbed PRs in both the triple jump and long jump this weekend, on the way to placing third and fourth in the two events respectively. His tally of 15.35m in the triple is a conference best on the season, while his 7.41m in the long jump leads all ASUN athletes as well. The sophomore's triple leap ties for third in KSU history.
ASUN Men's Indoor Track Athletes of the Week - Feb. 15th
Juan Gonzalez, Lipscomb
Senior | Lake Forest, Cal. | Criminal Justice
- Third Career ASUN Track Athlete of the Week Award; first this season
- Set a new school record in the 3000m with a time of 8:11.59
- Finished 39th overall in a competitive field of 109 at the Husky Classic
- Time is an ASUN best for the 2016-17 season
- Run was better than athletes from nine different power-five schools
Other Nominees: Tyler Stahl, North Florida
ASUN Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week - Feb. 15th
Dayo Akindele, Kennesaw State
Sophomore | Stockbridge, Ga.
- Second Career ASUN Conference Indoor Field Athlete of the Week Award
- Set personal bests in the long jump and triple jump at this past weekend's Music City Challenge
- 15.35m triple jump was good for third and the farthest leap of the 2016-17 indoor ASUN season
- Recorded the top long jump in the conference this year, with a fifth place distance of 7.41m
- Came in fourth in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.06
|Date||Track Athlete of the Week||Field Athlete of the Week|
|Dec. 7th||Wayne Newman, Lipscomb||Bobby Harris, North Florida|
|Jan. 18th||Brad Hort, North Florida||Fabeon Tucker, Kennesaw State
|Jan. 25th||Wayne Newman, Lipscomb||Fabeon Tucker, Kennesaw State|
|Feb. 8th||Manny Velasquez, North Florida
& Daniel Leung, NJIT
|Hunter Arnold, Kennesaw State|
|Feb. 15th||Juan Gonzalez, Lipscomb||Dayo Akindele, Kennesaw State|