ATLANTA, Ga. – The 2019 ASUN Conference Men's Soccer Championship opens Friday, Nov. 8, with a pair of first round contests. The opening match of the day at 5 PM ET pits No. 3 North Florida against No. 6 Liberty at the FGCU Soccer Complex in Fort Myers, Fla. In Friday's second match, held at Lubektin Field at Mal Simon Stadium in Newark, N.J., No. 4 Stetson battles reigning champion and No. 5 seed Lipscomb at 7 PM ET.
Fans can tune into Facebook Live to watch the UNF vs. Liberty match in Fort Myers, while the Stetson vs. Lipscomb contest will air live on the Highlander Sports Network.
#3 North Florida vs. #6 Liberty | 5 PM ET | Facebook Live
#3 vs. #6 Seeds All-Time: 12-4-2 in favor of No. 3 seed
Last Match: North Florida 1, Liberty 0 (Sept. 21, 2019 in Jacksonville, Fla.)
#3 North Florida (5-7-2; 3-2-1 ASUN)
All-Time Record in ASUN Championship: 6-6-0
No. 3 Seeds in ASUN Championship: 16-15-6
Last Time in ASUN Championship: 2018; First Round
ASUN Championship Titles: 1 (2015)
- The Ospreys claimed the No. 3 seed for the second-straight season and are in search of their first victory in tournament play since claiming the title in 2015.
- With a win, North Florida would participate in its fifth ASUN Semifinal match in program history; UNF has made the final match three times previously (2013-15).
- As a team, the Ospreys have the best defense in the league allowing only 15 goals on the year with a conference-best 1.04 GAA.
- North Florida qualified for its seventh-consecutive ASUN Championship, eighth all-time, and has a combined record of 6-6-0 in program history.
#6 Liberty (5-12-0; 1-5-0 ASUN)
All-Time Record in ASUN Championship: 0-1-0
No. 6 Seeds in ASUN Championship: 6-17-4
Last Time in ASUN Championship: 2018; First Round
ASUN Championship Titles: None
- The No. 6 seed has advanced to the ASUN Championship Final match each of the past two seasons, claiming the title in 2017.
- A trio of players (Shane Geisler, Musa Morris, Tyler Welch) leads the Flames with two goals on the season while Seth Clark has a team-leading five points and three assists.
- Liberty, in its second year as an ASUN member, is searching for its first victory after falling in the first round last season as the No. 5 seed.
- All-time, the No. 6 seed is 6-17-4 with half of those six wins coming in the last two years.
#4 Stetson vs. #5 Lipscomb | 7 PM ET | Highlander Sports Network
#4 vs. #5 Seed All-Time: 10-9-0 in favor of No. 4 seed
Last Match: Stetson 3, Lipscomb 1 (Oct. 12, 2019 in DeLand, Fla.)
#4 Stetson (7-9-2; 3-2-1 ASUN)
All-Time Record in ASUN Championship: 11-19-4
No. 4 Seeds in ASUN Championship: 13-21-0
Last Time in ASUN Championship: 2018; Runner-Up
ASUN Championship Titles: 2 (2005, '09)
- Stetson battles Lipscomb in a rematch of last season's ASUN Championship Final in which the Hatters fell to the Bisons 2-0; this season, Stetson earned the win over Lipscomb in the regular season contest.
- The Hatters have qualified for an ASUN record 24 tournaments with an 11-19-4 record over those years; however, Stetson will be the No. 4 seed for just the third-time ever.
- The No. 4 seed has never won the championship title and only advanced to the final match on two occasions (2014 & 2015) since the tournament began seeding teams in 1982.
- Goalkeeper Lute Lillo-Portero leads the league with 65 saves on the year and ranks third with a 1.45 GAA.
#5 Lipscomb (5-8-2; 3-3-0 ASUN)
All-Time Record in ASUN Championship: 10-9-2
No. 5 Seeds in ASUN Championship: 14-19-0
Last Time in ASUN Championship: 2018; Champions
ASUN Championship Titles: 2 (2017-18)
- The Bisons have won the last two ASUN Championships on both ends of the seeding spectrum capturing the title as the No. 6 seed in 2017 and winning as the top seed last season.
- With three wins, Lipscomb could become the first No. 5 seed to claim the ASUN Championship title; the No. 5 seed has reached the finals three times in conference history (2013, '16, '17).
- Lipscomb has not lost a match in the ASUN Championship since 2016 and has a combined record of 4-0-1 during that span.
- The Bisons have qualified for 13 consecutive ASUN Championships which is the longest active streak; Lipscomb has played in the Semifinals in 10 of those 13 tournaments.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.