Fort Myers, Fla. - For the second-straight season the No. 6 seed is headed to the ASUN Men's Soccer Championship Final, as the Stetson Hatters knocked off No. 2 FGCU in PKs. Stetson moves on to the ASUN Championship Final where they will meet the top-seeded Lipscomb Bisons next Saturday, November 10th in Nashville, Tenn.
It was a rather pedestrian first half between the Hatters and Eagles. Neither team really had much going, until FGCU struck in the final minute of the half. Joao Burti made a beautiful play as he chipped it over a defender to himself, then crossed it across the field to hit a streaking Ryan Medilah who on converted on the one-timer to make it 1-0 Eagles.
After another slow start to the second half, but it was Stetson's turn for some fireworks. The Hatters evened up the score at 1 at the 72nd minute when Lewis Scattergood converted on a header off a corner kick from Nathan Monsanto. It was Scattergood's third goal of the Championship, doubling his total for the season. The Hatters and Eagles would get a handful a chances down the stretch, but goalkeepers Gustavo Vasconcelos of FGCU and Braeden Luna of Stetson were there to keep the match deadlocked at one.
The match remained tied after two overtime periods, and after a two and half hour lightning delay the game went into PKs. Each squad converted on each of its first two attempts before Vasconcelos made a wonderful diving save to stop the Hatters attempt and FGCU's Chris Clement's attempt went wide. The Eagles and Hatters matched each other the next two attempts to tie it at four. The match was decided in the fifth round of PKs. Guilherme Pinheiro, who had not registered one minute all match, played the hero for the Hatters when he cashed in on his attempt, beating Vasconcelos. Luna came up bigger for the Hatters in the bottom half of the round. Luna made a diving save on Burti and sealed the match for the Hatters.
Stetson move on to the ASUN Championship Final next Saturday. The Hatters face No. 1 Lipscomb. The Bisons took down No. 4 seed Jacksonville on Saturday afternoon, 2-1.
No. 2 FGCU vs. No. 6 Stetson Championship Notes
- Stetson moves on to the Championship Final for the first time since 2010; the Hatters last won the title in 2009
- For the second straight season, the No. 6 seed is headed to the finals. Coincidentally, Lipscomb made it to the finals as the No. 6 seed
- Lewis Scattergood has doubled his goal scoring output here in the ASUN Championship. He had just three goals heading in
- For the second straight season, FGCU falls in the Semifinal. The Eagles finish the year 9-5-2
- Stetson now has 12 wins in the ASUN Championship, most of any active ASUN school