Fort Myers, Fla. - The No. 6 seed Stetson Hatters are moving on to the ASUN Conference Men's Soccer Semifinals after defeating the No. 3 North Florida Ospreys, 3-1, on Friday Night. Lewis Scattergood tallied two goals for the Hatters, while Raphael Northoff chipped in with a goal of his own.
The Hatters and Ospreys played a relatively quiet first half, as they went into the half scoreless. Stetson controlled the play for the most part, as they had 14 shots compared to UNF's three. The Hatters closest scoring opportunity came early on when Scattergood bolted down the sidelines and got a good shot off, but UNF goalkeeper Philip D'Amico made a fantastic diving stop to keep the Hatters off the board.
As the rain began to pour down in Fort Myers, Stetson and North Florida began the second half. The second half started much like the first, as the Hatters controlled the play. They soon struck first when Scattergood netted the first of his two goals. North Florida finally found some momentum just 10 minutes later when Collin Scott rocketed a goal off a one-timer to even up the score at one. The Hatters woudn't be held down for much longer though. Northoff took a great feed from Sebastian Chalbaud, and raced down the near sideline and put it in the top of the net to un-tie the score for good.
Stetson added some insurance just seven minutes later, as Scattergood found the back of the net on a one-timer from Gabriel Diniz with six minutes remaining to make it 3-1. The Hatters now await No. 2 and ASUN Regular Season Champion, FGCU, on Sunday afternoon. Kickoff is set for 1 PM ET and the game can be seen on ESPN+.
No. 3 North Florida vs. No. 6 Stetson Championship Notes
- For the second straight season, the No. 6 seed has taken down the No. 3 seed. Lipscomb defeated NJIT last year and went on to win the ASUN Championship
- Stetson improved to 11-17-3 all-time in the ASUN Championship. The Hatters' 11 wins are most all-time by active ASUN members
- The Hatters' three goals on Friday night are tied for the most they have scored vs. an ASUN foe this season
- Scattergood's two goals against UNF set a career-high and nearly doubled his season output.
- North Florida finishes the season with a mark of 4-11-0 with their second-straight loss in the ASUN First Round