Fort Myers, Fla. – No. 3 Lipscomb cruised to a 3-0 victory to open the 2016 ASUN Conference Men's Soccer Championship on Thursday night. The Bisons advanced to their fifth-straight ASUN semifinal and will take on No. 2 FGCU in Fort Myers, Fla. on Saturday night.
Lipscomb's dynamic striker duo of Logan Paynter and Ivan Sakou scored a goal each in the first half to give the Bisons the lead. Defender Joe Kerridge netted a goal in the second half to put the match beyond doubt. The Hatters close the season with a 4-10-2 record following tonight's loss.
The first half was dominated by the Bisons as they controlled possession and created most of the opportunities. 2016 ASUN Goalkeeper of the Year, Paul Ladwig made one crucial save in the 20th minute to keep the Hatters at 0-0, but was unable to prevent the opening goal of the match six minutes later. All-Freshman team selection, Austin Eager was played open down the left side and his cross found an open Logan Paynter who scored on a one-timer from 10 yards out.
The Bisons continued to put pressure on the Hatter defense and were rewarded in the 32nd minute with their second goal. Ivan Alvarado, a three-time First Team All-Conference selection, found room 25 yards out and played a through ball to Ivan Sakou, who took a couple touches into the box and scored passed the onrushing Ladwig to give Lipscomb a 2-0 halftime lead.
The Hatters looked for a response in the second half, but the Bisons continued to show poise and confidence on the ball, creating more opportunities. Ladwig made two fantastic saves in quick succession in the 52nd minute to deny Scout Monteith and Daniel Vieira, but he couldn't do anything in the 56th minute, when Joe Kerridge extended the Bisons lead to 3-0. Kerridge was open down the right hand side, he dribbled past a defender and his low shot beat Ladwig to put the Bisons up by three scores.
Lipscomb cruised the final 30 minutes of the match, and could have scored more goals, but Ladwig and the Hatters defense blocked several good scoring opportunities down the stretch. Ladwig finishes his career with six saves tonight.
No. 3 Lipscomb advances to the 2016 ASUN Men's Soccer Championship semifinals and will take on No. 2 FGCU on Saturday night at 7 PM. The match from the FGCU Soccer Complex will be streamed live on ESPN3.
The second quarterfinal matchup of the 2016 ASUN Men's Soccer Championship kicks off at 7 PM tomorrow night at Hodges Stadium on the campus of the University of North Florida. No. 4 NJIT takes on No. 5 Jacksonville with the winner advancing to the semifinals against the No. 1 seed North Florida.
No. 3 Lipscomb vs No. 6 Stetson Quarterfinal Notes
- The Bisons advance to their fifth-straight ASUN Championship semifinal. Lipscomb is looking for its first win and first Championship Final appearance in program history.
- Logan Paynter scored his 10th goal of the season tonight, becoming the third ASUN player this year to reach double-digits. He will face the other two double-digit scorers in FGCU's Albert Ruiz (17) and Arion Sobers-Assue (11) in the next round.
- Ivan Alvarado recorded his fourth assist on the season tonight, giving him three-straight seasons with four helpers or more. He is the active ASUN career assists leader with 16.
- Ivan Sakou scored his sixth goal of the season. The Bisons are an incredible 6-0 in games that Sakou has scored this season.
- Paul Ladwig finished with six saves tonight giving him 92 on the season, a new single-season best mark for the senior keeper. He finishes his outstanding Hatters career with 220 saves.