Championship Page | Photo Gallery | Championship Bracket
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Helge Pietschmann scored the first-ever Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Championship hat trick to lead the North Florida Ospreys to their first title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. The Ospreys defeated USC Upstate 7-0 in Saturday's Championship Final.
Pietschmann needed only six minutes to make A-Sun Men's Soccer Championship history as the first player to score a hat trick. 18 players before had scored two goals. Pietschmann scored in the 47th, 50th and 53rd minute after North Florida had taken a 2-0 lead into the break.
The Ospreys (10-6-1) dominated the possession early on and pinned the Spartans into their own half throughout most of the match. Ivan Castro added a tally in the 57th minute to give North Florida a 6-0 lead. Shane Nicholson scored his first goal of the season to make the final score 7-0. The victory margin was the largest in an A-Sun Championship match since 1985.
In the 24th minute, right back Aidan D'Mello was on the end of a well rehearsed short corner that was flicked on by Casey Caronis at the front post and D'Mello headed into the empty net on the far post for the 1-0 lead.
In the 42nd minute, Camilo Garcia was found by Milan Kovacs and Helge Pietschmann as he finished another great move for the 2-0 lead. Garcia dove for the ball at the top of the six yard box, after Kovacs redirected the Pietschmann cross at the far post. Pietschmann set an A-Sun Championship single match record with seven total points.
The Ospreys can now get ready for the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Selection Show on Monday, November 16th at 1 p.m. to learn who they will play next.
2015 Men's Soccer All-Tournament Team
- Helge Pietschmann, UNF - Tournament MVP
- Jay Bolt, UNF
- Casey Caronis, UNF
- Ivan Castro, UNF
- Alex Morrell, UNF
- Tucker Beerman, USC Upstate
- Leon Schwarzer, USC Upstate
- Gordon Wild, USC Upstate
- Albert Ruiz, FGCU
- Rodrigo Saravia, FGCU
- Matt Kerridge, Lipscomb
North Florida vs. USC Upstate Championship Final Notes
- Helge Pietschmann became the first player in conference history to score a hat trick in an A-Sun Championship match. 18 players had previously managed two goals in a single match.
- The seven goals scored by North Florida is the most in an A-Sun Championship match since 2008 when Campbell scored seven.
- With seven total points, Pietschmann also broke the A-Sun record for most points in a single A-Sun Championship match.
- North Florida will now await the selection show on Monday, November 16th at 1 p.m. to find out where they will head in their first NCAA Tournament.
- Upstate's Gordon Wild finishes his freshman season with 16 goals, tied for the Division I Men's Soccer lead. It's the most goals scored in a single-season in Upstate Division I history.