ATLANTA, Ga. - The Liberty and North Florida Men's Golf teams both secured spots in the NCAA Championship with fifth-place finishes at NCAA Regional competitions on Wednesday afternoon.
In total, the ASUN Conference has now sent 22 teams to the national championship since 1980, including six in the last three years. This marks the second year that multiple teams will represent the conference on the national stage (2017 - Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb). This will be the fifth time North Florida has qualified for the championship and second straight, while Liberty will make its second appearance (2012).
The Flames and Ospreys head to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete in the NCAA National Championship from May 24-29 at the Blessings Golf Club. The top-five teams at each of the six Regionals and one qualifying individual advance to the event. Tee-times and pairings will be announced next week.
Liberty - NCAA Athens Regional
- The Flames posted a score of 18-over par 870 (294-288-288) on the University of Georgia Golf Course (par 71, 7,253 yards).
- Ervin Chang (74-68-72), who is ranked No. 31 in the country, and Kieran Vincent (72-69-73) paced Liberty's efforts at the NCAA Athens Regional, finishing tied for 10th place with a 1-over par 214.
- Gabe Lench, who is ranked No. 53 in the country, finished tied for 21st with a 4-over par 217 (73-73-71).
- Alexandre Fuchs and Jonathan Yaun both played their best rounds of the NCAA Athens Regional during their final trip around the University of Georgia Golf Course.
- Fuchs finished tied for 52nd place with a 12-over par 225 (75-78-72) and Yaun closed his first regional showing tied for 57th with a 14-over par 227 (75-78-74).
North Florida - NCAA Louisville Regional
- Senior Philip Knowles continued his strong senior campaign, firing a final round 5-under 66 highlighted by six birdies to earn a T6 finish at 209
- Senior Jordan Batchelor joined Knowles in the Top 25, finishing at 216 (T25) following his final round even-par 71
- Michael Mattiace, the lone junior in the Osprey lineup, shot a final round 74 en route to a T29 showing of 217
- Senior Andrew Alligood closed regional play with his best round of the week, carding a 1-over 72 for a total of 223 (T50)
- Senior Travis Trace rounded out the UNF lineup in a T55 (224) after a final round 77
- North Florida finished with a 54-hole total of 860, edging West Virginia for the final advancing spot by two strokes