ATHENS, Ga. -- No. 4 seed Liberty remains in contention following Day 1 of the NCAA Athens Regional where the Flames find themselves tied for sixth place.
On a blustery day that created the most challenging of the six NCAA Regional sites, the Flames carded a 10-over par 294 on the University of Georgia Golf Course (par 71, 7,253 yards), the home course of the Georgia Bulldogs.
Liberty is tied for sixth place with No. 8 seed Kentucky and two shots off the coveted fifth-place position held by No. 11 seed Memphis, who carded an 8-over par 292.
The Flames will return to the course for tomorrow's second round and will be sent off the No. 10 tee starting at 8 a.m., along with UNCW and Tennessee.
Round Recap – Liberty's Starting Five:
· Kieran Vincent: T12 1-over par 72 (72)
· No. 53 Gabe Lench: T21 2-over par 73 (73)
· No. 31 Ervin Chang: T32 3-over par 74 (74)
· Jonathan Yaun: T42 4-over par 75 (75)
· Alexandre Fuchs: T42 4-over par 75 (75)
· The top five teams at the end of play on Wednesday from each of the six NCAA Regionals will advance to the 2019 NCAA Men's Golf National Championship, held at The Blessings Golf Course in Fayetteville, Ark., May 24-29.
· The NCAA Athens Regional had the highest scoring average of the six regional sites (scoring average): Pullman (69.93), Stanford (71.76), Louisville (73.08), Myrtle Beach (73.88), Austin (74.33) and Athens (74.43).
· After playing on its home course, No. 3 seed Georgia sits atop the leaderboard following an even par round of 284.
· No. 1 seed Vanderbilt is two shots off the overall pace, following a 2-over par 286, while No. 2 seed Duke trails the Bulldogs by five shots following a 5-over par 289.
· No. 4 seed Tennessee, one of the two teams who played with the Flames on Monday, sits in fourth place following a 6-over par 290.
· A total of four teams sit five shots behind fifth-place Memphis' 8-over par 292: Liberty (+10/294), Kentucky (+10/294), Nevada (+12/296) and SMU (+13/297).
· Six players managed to break par on Monday, led by Memphis' Brad Bawden, who carded a 3-under par 68.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
· All five of Liberty's golfers finished the Day 1 of the Athens Regional within three shots of each other.
· The Flames led the 13-team field during the opening round of the regional with 63 pars.
· Kieran Vincent paces the way for the Flames following a 1-over par 72 and is tied for 12th place.
· The redshirt sophomore birdied two of his first six holes of play on Monday to get into red figures, but closed with 10 pars and two bogeys during the remainder of the round.
· Gabe Lench, who is currently ranked No. 53 in the country, matched Vincent's two-birdie effort and is tied for 21st place following a 2-over par 73.
· Lench is Liberty's most seasoned regional player, having played in a regional each of his four years at Liberty.
· No. 31 Ervin Chang is tied for 32nd place following a 3-over par 74, during a round that saw him shave two shots off his scorecard with a pair of front-nine birdies.
· Jonathan Yaun and Alexandre Fuchs are tied for 42nd place after finishing the day with a 4-over par 75.
· University of Georgia Golf Course (Athens, Ga.)
· Par 71, 7,253 yards
Following the Flames at NCAA Athens Regional:
· Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
· Twitter @LibertyGolf
· Instagram @LibertyGolf
· Round 2 Tee Time: Tuesday at 8:00 a.m./EST (No. 10 tee)