ATLANTA, Ga. - Jacksonville's David Bell captured the ASUN Men's Basketball Player of the Week award while Lipscomb's KJ Johnson earned the Newcomer of the Week accolade it was announced by the league office Monday. The honors marked the first of their career for both Bell, who had two double-doubles, and Johnson, who averaged 24 points, as both squads went 1-1 on the week.
Men's Basketball Player of the Week
David Bell, Jacksonville
Senior | Center | Cleveland, Ohio
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week honor; 30th all-time award for Jacksonville and first this season
- Collected a pair of double-doubles to average 15.0 points and 12.5 rebounds per game while shooting 82.4 percent from the field in 28.5 minutes per outing
- Had game-highs of 16 points and 14 rebounds in the win over North Carolina A&T and started the game a perfect 7-for-7 from the field
- Also had game-highs of 14 points and 11 rebounds vs. Campbell going 7-for-8 from the field with two assists
- Has now recorded four consecutive double-doubles and is averaging 15.0 points and 13.3 rebounds during the four-game stretch
Other Nominees: KJ Johnson, Lipscomb; Mervin James, North Alabama.
Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week
KJ Johnson, Lipscomb
Freshman | Guard | Lewisburg, Tenn.
- First Career ASUN Newcomer of the Week award; 24th all-time for the Bisons and first this season
- Has either tied or set a career-high in scoring in four straight games after notching 23 points at Tennessee Tech and 25 points at No. 23 Xavier
- Nearly recorded a triple-double in the win against the Golden Eagles with 23 points, eight assists and seven rebounds for his second career start
- Followed that performance with a career-high 25 points to go along with five rebounds and two assists vs. the Musketeers
- For the week, averaged 24.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists while shooting 58.6 (17-of-29) from the field
Other Nominees: Kevin Norman, Jacksonville; Mervin James, North Alabama; Mahamadou Diawara, Stetson.
2019-20 Season Award Winners
Dec. 2 | Player: David Bell, Jacksonville; Newcomer: KJ Johnson, Lipscomb
Nov. 25 | Player: Scottie James, Liberty; Newcomer: Kyle Rode, Liberty
Nov. 18 | Players: Zach Cooks, NJIT/Carter Hendricksen, North Florida; Newcomer: C.J. Brim, North Alabama
Nov. 11 | Player: Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Rob Perry, Stetson
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.