ATLANTA, Ga. - Six ASUN Conference Men's Basketball teams took to the court for the opening night of the 2019-20 season with Lipscomb and Stetson coming away with victories. North Alabama and NJIT open their seasons on Wednesday night with road contests against South Carolina and Colgate, respectively.
Lipscomb and Stetson both earned big margin of victories as the Bisons won by 49 points and the Hatters claimed a 58-point victory. FGCU, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State and North Florida dropped its season openers as all four teams took to the road.
Today's Top ASUN Conference Performances
• J.T. Escobar, North Florida: 15 Points (5-11 FGs; 2-2 FTs), 2 Rebounds, 1 Turnover
• Bryce Workman, Jacksonville: 15 Points (6-9 FGs), 8 Rebounds, 1 Assist
• Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb: 12 Points (6-10 FGs), 12 Rebounds, 4 Assists, 2 Blocks
• Christiaan Jones, Stetson: 23 Points (9-12 FGs), 5 Steals, 4 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 2 Blocks
• Zach Scott, FGCU: 23 Points (8-17 FGs, 5-10 3FGs), 3 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 1 Steal, 1 Block
• Danny Lewis, Kennesaw State: 12 Points (7-13 FGs), 3 Rebounds, 1 Steal
What You Need to Know from Tonight's Wins
• Stetson 84, Trinity Baptist 26
- Head Coach Donnie Jones captured his first win at the helm of the Stetson program.
- The 23 points scored by Christiaan Jones tied his career-high set on Dec. 8, 2018, against Marist.
- The 58-point margin of victory was the first win of 50 or more points since Stetson defeated Johnson by 50 points on Nov. 7, 2018.
• Lipscomb 104, Rhodes 55
- Head Coach Lennie Acuff earned his first career Division I victory as all 14 players on the roster scored in the contest
- With the win, the Bisons improve to 16-3 in home openers in the NCAA Division I era, while Acuff gets his eighth consecutive season-opening win as a head coach.
- As a team, the Bisons shot .547 from the field (41-75), including a .639 mark in the second half
Wednesday, Nov. 6
North Alabama at South Carolina - 6 PM CT (SEC Network+)
NJIT at Colgate - 7 PM ET (Patriot League Network)
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.
Tweets by ASUNMBB