ATLANTA, Ga. - Lipscomb swept the ASUN Conference Men's Basketball weekly awards as Garrison Mathews and Ahsan Asadullah earned the honors, announced by the league office on Monday.
For the 12th time in his illustrious career, Mathews takes home Player of the Week honors. Mathews led Lipscomb to perhaps their biggest win of the season, as the Bisons downed Liberty, 79-59 last week. In that game, the senior guard poured in a game-high 22 points on 7-13 from the field and 5-8 from three-point range. Mathews followed that performance up with a 19-point game in Saturday's home win vs. North Alabama. Over the weekend, he moved into sole possession of second place on the ASUN all-time list for three-pointers made. He currently sits with 306 career threes made, just 10 away from the all-time mark of 316 held by Adam Fellers from Campbell. This season, Mathews leads the ASUN in scoring at 19.9 PPG and over his last five games he's averaging 25.6 PPG.
Ahsan Asadullah completed the Bisons sweep of the Player of the Week honors, as he earns his first career Newcomer of the Week award. Asadullah was a key piece off the bench in a pair of Lipscomb victories last week. The freshman forward scored six points and hauled in eight boards in the Bisons' road victory at Liberty. In Saturday's defeat of North Alabama, he scored 13 points on 6-7 from the field in just 18 minutes of action. This season, he's contributed 7.6 PPG and 4.8 RPG off the bench for the Bisons. His 7.6 PPG ranks fifth among all ASUN freshmen.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Feb. 4th
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Senior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn. | Criminal Justice
- Twelfth Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; sixth this season to extend his own league record
- Averaged 20.5 PPG and shot 52 percent from the field and 53 percent from three-point land
- Helped Lipscomb to a huge win over Liberty with 22 points on 5-8 from beyond the arc
- Followed that performance with a 19-point performance in a win over North Alabama
- Currently sits second all-time in ASUN history in threes made with 306, just 10 away from the all-time record
- Leads the ASUN in scoring at 19.9 PPG and has upped that to 23.0 PPG in conference play
Other Nominees: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU; Bryson Lockley, Kennesaw State; Caleb Homesley, Liberty; Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Feb. 4th
Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb
Freshman | Center | Atlanta, Ga.
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; first for Lipscomb this season
- Averaged 9.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG and shot 64.3 percent from the field in a 2-0 week from Lipscomb
- In 14 minutes off the bench against Liberty, scored six points and hauled in eight boards
- Scored 13 points on 6-7 from the field with five rebounds and two assists in the win over North Alabama
- Ranks fifth among ASUN freshmen in PPG at 7.6. His 13 points agains UNA were most in an ASUN game this year
- Sits fifth in the conference in FG percentage, and is shooting 55 percent over the last four games
Other Nominees: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU; Marques Sumner, Stetson.
2018-19 Season Award Winners
Feb. 4th: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Ashan Asadullah, Lipscomb
Jan. 28th: Players: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Abdul Lewis, NJIT; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU
Jan. 21st: Players: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU & Christian Agnew, North Alabama; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU & Christian Agnew, North Alabama
Jan. 14th: Players: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Scottie James, Liberty Newcomer: Tyreese Davis, Jacksonville
Jan. 7th: Player: Noah Horchler, North Florida; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Jan. 1st: Player: Caleb Homesley, Liberty; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Dec. 23rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Zach Scott, FGCU
Dec. 17th: Player: JD Notae, Jacksonville; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU
Dec. 10th: Player: Rob Marberry, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Tyreese Davis, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 26th: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 19th: Player: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU; Newcomer: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU
Nov. 12th: Player: Diandre Wilson, NJIT; Newcomer: Jamari Blackmon, North Alabama
Tweets by @ASunMBB