ATLANTA, Ga. - A trio of seniors collected the ASUN Conference Men's Basketball weekly awards as Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews and NJIT's Abdul Lewis shared the Player of the Week accolade, while FGCU's Schadrac Casimir earned his third Newcomer of the Week honor, as announced by the league office on Monday.
For the 11th time in his decorated career, Mathews takes home Player of the Week honors. Mathews had a prolific week scoring the basketball, as he averaged 29.0 PPG and shot 55.3 percent from the field. The senior guard helped Lipscomb go 3-0 last week to remain unblemished in ASUN play. Mathews closed out the week by posting back-to-back 31-point games against FGCU and Stetson. He was on fire from three-point land last week, shooting 12-25 from deep, which was good enough for 54.2 percent. Mathews is now averaging 19.8 PPG, which leads the ASUN. He's upped his play in conference action, as he's averaging 23.8 PPG, which is tops in the league.
Lewis garners his second career Player of the Week honor, after leading NJIT to a perfect 3-0 week. Lewis kicked off his week with a monster double-double of 24 points and 18 rebounds in a victory vs. North Florida. He continued his strong play against Stetson, as he chipped in with 12 points, seven boards and four assists in just 26 minutes of action. Lewis and the Highlanders capped off their week with a 76-70 overtime triumph against North Alabama. Lewis notched another double-double with 17 points, 13 rebounds and five assists. This season, Lewis leads the ASUN in rebounding at 9.9 RPG. In conference play, that number has rose to 11.3 RPG.
For the second-straight week, Casimir takes home Newcomer of the Week honors. He led FGCU to a 2-1 week, averaging 22.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG and 3.3 APG. In FGCU's 88-80 win vs. North Florida on Sunday, Casimir poured in 33 points on 9-14 from the field. It was his second 30-point performance in his last four games. Over his last four games, he's averaging 25.5 PPG, helping the Eagles go 3-1 in that stretch. Casimir was on from three-point land last week, as the senior guard shot 13-24 from deep. He continued to be one of the top foul shooters in the conference, as he shot 17-21 from the charity stripe. In conference play, he's shooting 86.3 percent from the foul line to lead the league.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Players of the Week - Jan. 28th
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Senior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn. | Criminal Justice
- Eleventh Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; fifth this season to extend his own league record
- Averaged 29.0 PPG, 7.3 RPG and 2.7 APG in a perfect 3-0 week last week for Lipscomb
- Posted back-to-back 30-point games, scoring 31 points against FGCU and Stetson
- Shot 55.3 percent from the field, including 48.0 (12-25) percent from beyond the arc
- Scored 22 of his 31 points against Stetson in the first half on 8-12 from the field
- Now sits at 2,104 career points and is sixth all-time on the ASUN all-time scoring list
Abdul Lewis, NJIT
Senior | Forward | Newark, N.J.
- Second Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; fourth this season for NJIT
- Began his week with a monster double-double of 24 points and 18 rebounds against North Florida
- Nine of his 18 boards against UNF came on the offensive end, his highest output this season
- For the week, averaged 17.7 PPG, 12.7 RPG and 3.7 APG and helped NJIT to a 3-0 week
- Capped his week off with another double-double of 17 points and 13 rebounds in NJIT victory against North Alabama
- Has notched three double-doubles in his last four games. He now has 20 career double-doubles
Other Nominees: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU; Tyler Hooker, Kennesaw State; Caleb Homesley, Liberty; Kendarius Smith, North Alabama.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Jan. 28th
Schadrac Casimir, FGCU
Senior | Guard | Stamford, Conn.
- Third Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; second-straight honor
- Averaged 22.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG and 3.3 APG , while shooting 51.4 percent to help lead FGCU to a 2-1 week
- Tallied 33 points in an 88-80 win against North Florida, his second 30-point game in the last four games
- Was on fire from three-point land, shooting 54.2 percent from deep, including a 6-10 performance against North Florida
- Continued to be one of the ASUN's best from the foul line, shooting 17-21 from the charity stripe
- In conference play, Casimir ranks first in free throws made, free throw percentage, three pointers and three point percentage
Other Nominees: Darius McGhee, Liberty.
2018-19 Season Award Winners
Jan. 28th: Players: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Abdul Lewis, NJIT; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU
Jan. 21st: Players: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU & Christian Agnew, North Alabama; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU & Christian Agnew, North Alabama
Jan. 14th: Players: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Scottie James, Liberty Newcomer: Tyreese Davis, Jacksonville
Jan. 7th: Player: Noah Horchler, North Florida; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Jan. 1st: Player: Caleb Homesley, Liberty; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Dec. 23rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Zach Scott, FGCU
Dec. 17th: Player: JD Notae, Jacksonville; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU
Dec. 10th: Player: Rob Marberry, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Tyreese Davis, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 26th: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 19th: Player: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU; Newcomer: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU
Nov. 12th: Player: Diandre Wilson, NJIT; Newcomer: Jamari Blackmon, North Alabama
Tweets by @ASunMBB