ATLANTA, Ga. - North Florida's Noah Horchler & Liberty's Darius McGhee opened ASUN Conference Men's Basketball league play with victories on Saturday and in the process earned weekly accolades, announced by the league office on Monday.
Horchler, the ASUN Player of the Week, dominated in the post during North Florida's two contests as he helped the Ospreys collect two victories including a dominant 96-67 win vs. North Alabama in the league opener. The junior forward posted a conference-high of 23 points on Saturday, while adding seven rebounds, four assists and three blocks vs. the Lions. Horchler tacked on a double-double earlier in the week with 16 points and 15 boards in a 28-point win vs. Florida National. The Ospreys return to the court on Wednesday at Lipscomb with a 7:30 PM ET tipoff.
For the fourth time this season, McGhee earns the ASUN Newcomer of the Week award which sits two away from tying the conference record. The Roxboro, N.C. native was deadly from behind the arc for Liberty finishing six-of-eight on three pointers in a 81-63 road win vs. FGCU. He finished with a game-high 18 points with a consistent nine points coming in each half. A freshman guard, McGee added three rebounds and a steal in 26 minutes of run off the bench. He enters Wednesday's game at Stetson as the league leader in three's made per game at 2.8 and is connecting on 39.3 percent of his attempts from deep.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Jan. 7th
Noah Horchler, North Florida
Junior | Forward | Melbourne, Fla. | Criminal Justice
- First Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; first for UNF this season
- Guided Ospreys to 2-0 week by averaging 19.5 PPG, 11 RPG, 3 APG & 2 BPG
- Tallied 23 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three blocks vs. North Alabama
- Finished 11-of-15 from the field in a 96-67 victory vs. the Lions to open ASUN play
- Secured his league-leading seventh double-double vs. Florida National
- Netted 16 points, 15 rebounds with two assists in the 104-76 victory
Other Nominees: Scottie James, Liberty; Eli Pepper, Lipscomb; Abdul Lewis, NJIT.
Congrats to @NoahHorchler1 on earning his FIRST career ASUN Player of the Week award. Horchler led @OspreyMBB to a 2-0 week and posted 23 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks in UNF's #ASUNMBB opening win over North Alabama— #ASUNMBB�� (@ASUNMBB) January 7, 2019
��: https://t.co/6FOiXeu3GT#SWOOPLife pic.twitter.com/A1ehV4pDr2
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Jan. 7th
Darius McGhee, Liberty
Freshman | Guard | Roxboro, N.C.
- Fourth Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; fourth for Liberty this season
- Led Flames in scoring in 81-63 road victory vs. FGCU to open league play on Saturday
- Knocked down six three pointers on eight attempts en route to 18 points off the bench
- Finished one point off his career-high set on on Dec. 3rd
- Added three rebounds and a steal in 26 minutes of action
- Leads the ASUN in three's made per game at 2.8; ranks second on the team in scoring
Other Nominees: Jake Wolfe, Lipscomb; Christian Agnew, North Alabama; Cam Copeland, North Florida; Marques Sumner, Stetson.
Shoutout to @D1McGhee on earning his fourth Newcomer of the Week award! McGhee led @LibertyMBB to its first-ever #ASUNMBB win on Saturday, scoring a game-high 18 points on 6-8 from three-point land.— #ASUNMBB�� (@ASUNMBB) January 7, 2019
��: https://t.co/6FOiXeu3GT#ASUNMBB #RiseWithUs pic.twitter.com/tmt03YF6jp
2018-19 Season Award Winners
Jan. 7th: Player: Noah Horchler, North Florida; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Jan. 1st: Player: Caleb Homesley, Liberty; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Dec. 23rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Zach Scott, FGCU
Dec. 17th: Player: JD Notae, Jacksonville; Newcomer: Schadrac Casimir, FGCU
Dec. 10th: Player: Rob Marberry, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Tyreese Davis, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 26th: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 19th: Player: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU; Newcomer: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU
Nov. 12th: Player: Diandre Wilson, NJIT; Newcomer: Jamari Blackmon, North Alabama
Tweets by @ASunMBB