DeLAND, Fla. - Four players scored in double figures as Stetson downed Edward Waters, 72-65, Thursday at Edmunds Center. Marques Sumner led the Hatters (4-11) with 13 points, while Christiaan Jones scored 12. Keith Matthews and Ricardo Lynch each scored 10.
Tied 36-36 at halftime, the Hatters limited the Tigers to 35.5 percent shooting in the second half. Edward Waters stayed close thanks to 7 of 16 three-point shooting in the half, but Stetson put the game away with a 9 of 12 effort from the free throw line in the final 20 minutes.
In their final game before ASUN Conference play begins next week, the Hatters showed off their perimeter prowess, making 11 of 29 shots from beyond the arc. Six different players made at least one three-pointer for Stetson.
Sumner added 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals to his scoring efforts. Adam Webb led Stetson defensively with a career-high 5 blocked shots.
Arcuas McGhee led the Tigers with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
News & Notes
- Adam Webb's 5 blocked shots are not only a career-high for the sophomore, but the most by a Hatter since Kentwan Smith also had 5 on Feb. 12, 2015 at Lipscomb
- Webb's 5 rebounds are a career high
- Stetson had 9 blocks in the game, the most by the Hatters since they had 11 against Mercer on Feb. 23, 2014
- Stetson's 11 three-pointers mark the third time in five games the Hatters have reached double-figures in treys
- Sumner's 3 steals are a career high
- Stetson's bench out-scored EWC, 30-10
The Hatters open ASUN Conference play when they host league newcomer Liberty, 7 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 9 at Edmunds Cente