ATLANTA, Ga. - For the second-straight week, Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews and Liberty's Darius McGhee garnered the ASUN Conference Men's Basketball weekly awards as announced by the league office on Monday.
Mathews tied Centenary's Willie Jackson (1980-84) for the most ASUN Player of the Week honors as he led Lipscomb to a big road win against Middle Tennessee State, who has made the postseason each of the last four seasons. The Franklin, Tenn. native poured in a season-high 29 points in just 29 minutes in the win at the Blue Raiders. He was 8-19 from the floor, including four three-pointers and went 9-10 from the free-throw line. In the victory over MTSU, Mathews moved into 15th place on the ASUN all-time scoring list and now sits with 1,868 career points. His 29-point effort was his 43rd 20-point game of his career. Lipscomb now sits at 6-1 on the year and has won 14 of their last 16 games dating back to last season, including nine-straight road wins.
McGhee helped Liberty to a perfect week and improve to 7-1 on the year, as they took down Navy and Georgia State. In the road win at Navy, McGhee poured in a career-high 18 points, including 5-10 from beyond the arc. In a dominating victory over Georgia State, who has already beaten ETSU, Mercer, St. Bonaventure and Georgia this season, McGhee chipped in with six points and five boards. This season, McGhee ranks second among all ASUN freshmen in scoring at 11.5 PPG. He also is tied for the ASUN lead in three-pointers made per game at 2.6 and is sixth in the league in three-point percentage with a mark of 36.8 percent.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Dec. 3rd
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Senior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn. | Criminal Justice
- Eighth Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; tied for most in league history
- Led Bisons to a victory over traditional mid-major power, Middle Tennessee State
- Poured in 29 points in just 29 minutes of action against the Blue Raiders
- Shot 8-19 from the floor, with four three pointers and was 9-10 from the charity stripe
- Pulled down two boards, dished out two assists and collected a steal in the win
- Moved into 15th place on the ASUN all-time scoring list, now sits with 1,868 career points
- Mathews leads the ASUN in scoring at 20 PPG; tied for 59th in the NCAA
Other Nominees: RaySean Scott Jr, FGCU; Scottie James, Liberty; Zach Cooks, NJIT; Noah Horchler, North Florida.
.@LipscombMBB's @gmathews_24 ties @ASUNSports Hall of Famer, Willie Jackson, for most career @ASUNMBB Player of the Week accolades. #HornsUp— #ASUNMBB�� (@ASUNMBB) December 3, 2018
Mathews tallied 29 points in a road win vs. Middle Tennesee on Saturday.
Read More: https://t.co/Dy718OlanU pic.twitter.com/zODlDMgeVe
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 3rd
Darius McGhee, Liberty
Freshman | Guard | Roxboro, N.C.
- Second Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; second-straight
- Averaged 12.0 PPG, 3.0 RPG and shot 44.4 percent from the field
- Netted a career-high 18 points in a win at Navy and was 5-10 from downtown
- Chipped in with six points and five boards in a dominating win vs. Georgia State
- McGhee ranks second among all ASUN freshmen in scoring at 11.5 PPG
- Sits tied for the ASUN lead in three-pointers made per game at 2.6
- Has registered double-figures in four of his last five contests
Other Nominees: Ahsan Asadullah, Lipscomb; Jamari Blackmon, North Alabama.
Who Else??? @D1McGhee is the @ASUNMBB Newcomer of the Week@LibertyMBB's sharp-shooting freshman earns his second-straight #ASUNMBB honor after helping the Flames to a 2-0 record. #GoFlames— #ASUNMBB�� (@ASUNMBB) December 3, 2018
Highlights ��⬇️ pic.twitter.com/qMbX5Zei3l
2018-19 Season Award Winners
Dec. 3rd: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Newcomer; Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 26th: Player: Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb & Zach Cooks, NJIT; Newcomer: Darius McGhee, Liberty
Nov. 19th: Player: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU; Newcomer: Haanif Cheatham, FGCU
Nov. 12th: Player: Diandre Wilson, NJIT; Newcomer: Jamari Blackmon, North Alabama
Tweets by @ASunMBB