LakePoint, Ga. - A pair of sophomores, NJIT's Anthony Tarke & North Florida's Noah Horchler earned the ASUN Conference Men's Basketball weekly awards, announced Monday by the league office.
Tarke guided the Highlanders to a 1-1 week as the sophomore from Gaithersburg, Md. averaged 19 PPG, 5 RPG, 3 APG & 1.5 SPG to collect his first-ever ASUN Player of the Week honor. Tarke began his week by tying his season-high for scoring with 21 points in an nine-point loss at Colgate as he added five boards and five assists. He then helped NJIT snap a three-game losing streak with a 71-68 victory against Fairleigh Dickinson. He tied Abdul Lewis for the team-high in points with 17, while adding five rebounds and two steals.
Horchler earned his second ASUN Newcomer honor in the past three weeks as the sophomore forward averaged a double-double in UNF's 2-1 week. He started with 17 points, nine rebounds in the Ospreys' first road win of the season vs. Florida A&M. He followed with his second double-double of the season, with 10 points and 14 boards in a two-point win vs. FIU. Against Missouri, Horchler registered another double-double on 10 points and 12 rebounds.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Dec. 18th
Anthony Tarke, NJIT
Sophomore | Forward | Gaithersburg, Md.
- First Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; sixth all-time for NJIT
- Averaged 19.0 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 3.0 APG & 1.5 SPG in 1-1 week for the Highlanders
- Tied a game-high with 21 points in nine-point road loss to Colgate
- Grabbed five boards and dished out five assists for NJIT
- Led NJIT to victory vs. Fairleigh Dickinson with 17 points; tied for team-best
- Added five rebounds, two steals, a block and an assit vs. FDU
- For the season, Tarke is averaging 14.3 PPG, 5.6 RPG & 1.6 APG
Other Nominees: Jace Hogan, Jacksonville; Tyler Hooker, Kennesaw State; Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb; Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 18th
Noah Horchler, North Florida
Sophomore | Forward | Melbourne, Fla.
- Second Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; third for UNF this season
- Averaged a double-double on 12.3 PPG & 11.7 RPG in 2-1 week for the Ospreys
- Opened with 17 points, nine rebounds on 7-of-9 shooting in road win vs. Florida A&M
- Added 10 points and 14 boards in two-point victory vs. FIU on Wednesday
- Capped week with 10 points and 12 rebounds in loss at Missouri
- For the week, shot 60.0 percent from the floor and 62.5 percent from deep
- Averaging 9.5 PPG, 7.2 RPG for the season and shooting 50.0% from the floor
Other Nominees: Jace Hogan, Jacksonville; Diandre Wilson, NJIT; Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson.
|Date||ASUN Player of the Week||ASUN Newcomer of the Week|
|Nov. 13th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson|
|Nov. 20th||Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida||Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida|
|Nov. 27th||Devin Harris, Jacksonville||Jace Hogan, Jacksonville|
|Dec. 4th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Noah Horchler, North Florida|
|Dec. 11th||Brandon Goodwin, FGCU||Dinero Mercurius, FGCU|
|Dec. 18th||Anthony Tarke, NJIT||Noah Horchler, North Florida|