"We got off to a tough start in the beginning of the second half," said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. "I didn't think we had the same kind of juice and readiness that we did in the first half. They took a lead but we fought our way back to surrender that lead in regulation. Then we won all of the early, critical possessions of overtime to regain the lead.
"I'm really pleased that we found a way to win a tough game on the road. We had a lot of things go against us."
The Bisons (5-3) got 37 points from the bench in the win over the Tigers including eight points from sophomore guard Matt Rose in the extra frame to down the Tigers (4-3). Senior Aaron Korn added 12 points off the bench to go along with 11 from freshman Greg Jones.
"It takes everybody," said Alexander. "I just talked to our team about being ready when your number is called whether that's short term or long term. Whatever the opportunity is for you, you have to be ready to step up and represent yourself. That's what we have to have to be a complete team."
Sophomore Michael Buckland led Lipscomb in scoring with a season-high 25 points hitting 6-of-10 from the field and 6-of-7 from the line. Fellow classmate Kenny Cooper joined Buckland in double figures with a 12-point effort, all coming in the first half of the win.
A game after missed free throws proved costly at Tennessee Tech on Wednesday night, the Bisons hit 77.1 percent (27-35) from the charity stripe including 10-of-14 in the overtime period.
- Lipscomb hit a season-high 12, 3-pointers sinking 12-of-25 (48 percent), while Tennessee State hit 8-of-24 (33.3 percent).
- The Bisons held a 50-46.9 percent edge in shooting overall.
- Both teams had trouble hanging on to the ball in the fast-paced game with TSU committing 21 turnovers that led to 20 Lipscomb points. Lipscomb committed 19 miscues that resulted in 13 points for the Tigers.
- Lipscomb posted a season-high seven blocked shots with Rob Marberry leading the way with three.
- With the win the Bisons improve to 4-3 against TSU all-time.
Tweets by @ASunMBB