LYNCHBURG, Va. - Liberty pitchers held Duke to two runs and second baseman Will Wagner hit a home run, as the Flames topped the Blue Devils 3-2, Tuesday evening at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Mason Meyer, Cole Garrett, Logan Barker and Landon Riley combined to allow two runs on nine hits in the victory. After Liberty took a 3-2 edge in the bottom of the sixth, the duo of Barker and Riley pitched two scoreless innings apiece to seal the victory.
Wagner had two hits, both extra base hits, in the contest. The second baseman had a double along with his home run.
With the win, Liberty third year head coach Scott Jackson records his 100th career victory.
Liberty takes both of its meetings with Duke, this season. The Flames extend their record to 36-16 on the season. The Blue Devils drop to 29-22.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Duke (29-22); Liberty (36-16)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Logan Barker (1-0) | LP: Eli Herrick (2-2) I SV: Landon Riley (1)
DU – 1st INNING – Murray flies out, Taylor scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wagner homers, 1-1
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Mathieu singles, Guy scores, 2-1
DU – 4th INNING – Rothenberg homers, 2-2
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Galazin beats out an infield single, Highfill scores, 3-2
- Liberty and Duke had nine hits apiece in the contest. The Blue Devils made the only error of the game.
- After a four-hit effort against Lipscomb on Sunday, Wagner was one of three players in tonight's contest with two hits. Wagner's solo home run was his fifth of the season. Teammate Brandon Rohrer also had two hits for the Flames.
- Riley struck out four in the eighth and ninth innings, tying a career high. His save was the first of his career.
- Duke catcher Michael Rothenberg hit his eighth home run of the season in the fourth inning.
Liberty took a 3-2 lead in the sixth. Designated hitter Ben Highfill opened the home half of the inning with a double off new Blue Devils reliever Eli Herrick and moved to third on a single by Rohrer. Third baseman Tyler Galazin followed with a high chopper over the head of the Duke third baseman for an infield single, plating Highfill for what proved to be the final score of 3-2. Barker and Riley made the score hold up from there.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty and Duke were meeting for the second time in seven days. The Flames defeated the Blue Devils 9-3 at Durham Bulls Athletic Park, this past Wednesday.
- The Flames complete their 2019 regular season home schedule with the best home record in Liberty Baseball Stadium history at 25-5.
- Liberty finishes its midweek schedule with a 9-4 record. The Flames posted a 7-3 mark against Atlantic Coast Conference teams during the midweek.
- Liberty head coach Scott Jackson records his 100th win of his career with the victory. Jackson's squad's 36 wins are the most since 2014 when the Flames won 41.
- Liberty left fielder Gray Betts continued the longest reached base streak by a Flame this season in the contest. The freshman extend his streak to 27 consecutive games with a single and a base on balls.
Liberty wraps up its 2019 regular season by traveling to Fort Myers, Fla., for a three-game ASUN series with the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, starting Thursday. The series opener is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Swanson Stadium. The Eagles open the series a half game ahead of Liberty atop the league standings. The winner of the series will be the ASUN regular season champions and the tournament's top seed.