ATLANTA, Ga. - After big weekends at the plate and on the mound in conference play, FGCU's Keith Stevens claimed Player of the Week honors while Lipscomb's Chris Kachmar and North Florida's Brad Deppermann were honored as ASUN Conference Baseball Pitchers of the Week, announced by the league office on Monday.
Stevens earns his first career Player of the Week honor after leading FGCU to clinch the first berth in the ASUN Championship. The senior infielder hit .500 over the weekend vs. NJIT, recording a pair of multi-hit contests including a 4-5 outing in the opening game of the series. Totaling five RBIs in the three-game set, Stevens was crucial in helping FGCU go ahead of NJIT in the second game, leading the team to victory and a postseason berth. For the season, Stevens now ranks third in the ASUN with a .329 batting average while adding a pair of homers and driving in 26 runs.
Kachmar claims his second Pitcher of the Week honor in a row, tossing his second-straight complete game victory for Lipscomb. On the road vs. Liberty, the senior right-hander held the Flames to just one run in a Lipscomb victory, striking out six hitters on the night. His season strikeout total now sits at 79 which is the eighth-best in the ASUN. The win on Friday night was the eighth of the season for Kachmar, tying the Pennsylvania native with Andrew McInvale for the most in the ASUN this season.
Deppermann wins his second Pitcher of the Week honor this season and third of his career following a shutout victory vs. Kennesaw State. The senior right-hander threw seven strong innings at home, holding the ASUN's top offense off the board in a 7-0 victory. The Florida native struck out seven hitters on the night, holding the Owls to three hits with none of them going for extra bases. The 12th-straight game in which Deppermann struck out six or more batters, the Ospreys ace now leads the conference with 96 strikeouts with one more start slated for the regular season to try and break the century mark.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - May 13th
Keith Stevens, FGCU
Senior | Infielder | Miami, Fla. | Software Engineering
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; third for FGCU this season
- Hit .500 (7-14) in a three-game set vs. NJIT including a 4-5 outing in game one
- Scored three runs in the series while also driving in five, accounting for eight of the Eagles' 18 total runs
- Has recorded multi-hit games in six of his last eight appearances; 17 multi-hit games total in 2019
- Now sits third in the ASUN with a .329 season average, adding two homers and 26 RBIs this season
Other Nominees: John Cassala, Jacksonville; Logan Mathieu, Lipscomb; Tanner Murphy, North Florida.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - May 13th
Chris Kachmar, Lipscomb
Senior | Pitcher | East Greenville, Pa. | Business
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second in a row
- Helped Lipscomb to a 9-1 win at Liberty, pitching a complete game in the process
- Struck out six hitters while allowing only six hits, holding the Flames to one run
- His six strikeouts raise his season total to 79, ranking eighth in the conference
- Has won eight games this year, tied for the most in the ASUN
Brad Deppermann, North Florida
Senior | Pitcher | Palm Harbor, Fla. | Criminal Justice
- Third Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second this season
- Threw a seven inning shutout vs. Kennesaw State in an 8-0 Ospreys win
- Allowed only three hits and one walk while striking out seven owls in his line of work
- Held KSU without an extra-base hit as the Owls entered the weekend leading the ASUN in slugging percentage
- Recorded his 12th-straight game with six or more strikeouts; now leads the ASUN with 96 K's this season
Other Nominees: Evan Lumbert, FGCU; Tyler Santana, Jacksonville; Noah Skirrow, Liberty.
ASUN Baseball 2019 Weekly Winners
May 13th - Player: Keith Stevens, FGCU | Pitcher: Chris Kachmar, Lipscomb & Brad Deppermann, North Florida
May 6th - Player: Jake Franklin, Kennesaw State | Pitcher: Chris Kachmar, Lipscomb
April 29th - Player: Tevin Symonette, Lipscomb | Pitcher: A.J. Jones, Jacksonville
April 22nd - Players: Wes Weeks, North Florida & Eric Foggo, Stetson | Pitcher: Bryant Claunch, North Alabama
April 15th - Players: Eric Gonzalez, FGCU & Reid Homan, North Alabama | Pitcher: Brad Deppermann, North Florida
April 8th - Player: Jorge Arenas, Stetson | Co-Pitchers: Nick Love, Jacksonville & Daniel Paret, Stetson
April 1st - Player: Brandon Rohrer, Liberty | Pitcher: Chris Gonzalez, Stetson
March 25th - Player: Jonathan Embry, Liberty | Pitcher: AJ Jones, Jacksonville
March 18th - Player: Logan Mathieu, Liberty | Pitcher: Nick Marchese, North Florida
March 11th - Player: Joe Kinker, FGCU | Pitcher: Evan Lumbert, FGCU
March 4th - Player: Jay Prather, North Florida | Pitcher: Nick Love, Jacksonville
Feb. 25th - Player: Tanner Murphy, North Florida | Pitcher: Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Feb. 18th - Player: Paul Franzoni, NJIT | Pitcher: Max McKinley, North Florida