TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Tanner Murphy had a historic day, walking five times while stealing four bases as the Ospreys (28-20) downed FAMU, 13-7, May 7 from the Moore-Kittles Baseball Complex in Tallahassee, Fla.
Murphy's stat line was remarkable to say the least, scoring four times despite tallying only one at-bat in six plate appearances. His five walks set a UNF program single game record while his four stolen bases set a UNF DI mark, tying the program record for a single game.
UNF 13, FAMU 7
Pitchers of Record
Win: Logan Clayton (2-1)
Loss: Jake Lister (0-1)
UNF | 13 R, 13 H, 2 E, 10 LOB
FAMU | 7 R, 11 H, E, 5 LOB
Behind the Line Score
- UNF pounded out three hits, drew one walk and stole a pair of bases to take a 3-0 lead in the second. Tanner Murphy drew a leadoff walk and stole two bags to reach third. David Maberryreached on an infield single before Alex Reynolds drove in Murphy with an RBI single up the middle. Austin Hurwitz grinded out an at-bat before doubling in two with a knock just inside the line in the right field corner.
- Five consecutive two-out hits helped UNF go ahead 7-0 through three. Murphy walked and used his legs to steal second before scoring on a Maberry single to left that he golfed off the ground on a curve ball. Reynolds flared a single to left and Blake Marabell casted an RBI single to left center, scoring Maberry. Marabell singled to center and Austin Hurwitz singled to right center, completing the scoring.
- FAMU (21-29) cut its deficit to 7-3 in the bottom half of the third. A chopper through the left side, an infield single and an RBI bloop single down the right field line from Malachi Mitchell scored one for FAMU. Mitchell and Robert Robinson pulled off a double steal, and throw made in attempt to retire Mitchell at third sailed high, scoring another. Octavien Moyer flew out to center to advance Robinson 90 feet, but Tucker Rayburn scored Robinson on an RBI-drag bunt single.
- A wild fourth inning ended with FAMU trailing by just one. Willis McDaniel tripled to right and scored on a Seyjuan Lawrence single back up the box. Righty Logan Clayton entered for Jean and hit Kaycee Reese on the first pitch. Dexter Martin skied a pop up that was ruled in infield fly, but Abraham Sequera dropped it as it came down, allowing Lawrence to take third. Mitchell proceeded to single down the right field line and take second on the throw to third as Reese was thrown out, Weeks to Sequera, to Berry. Lawrence scored on the play before and Robert Robinson scored Mitchell with a single through the right side.
- The Rattlers tied the game at seven in the fifth. Jared Weber tripled with one out and McDaniel scored him with an RBI groundout to Sequera at short.
- UNF put up its second four spot of the game in the seventh, using three walks, two singles, one passed ball and a wild pitch to go up 11-7 in the sixth.
- The Ospreys tacked on one more in both the eighth and ninth. Murphy walked and took third on Maberry's single to right. A passed ball plated Murphy for a 12-7 lead. A walk to Sequera in the ninth was followed up by a fielding error, another walk and a wild pitch, plating the shortstop.
- Trace Norkus and Eddie Miller combined to twirl three scoreless innings, with each fanning three apiece.
- Reynolds | 4-for-5, R, 3 RBI
- Maberry | 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI, BB
- Murphy | 0-for-1, 4 R, 5 BB, 4 SB
- Norkus | 2.0 IP, H, 3 K
- Mitchell | 3-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Robinson | 2-for-4, R, 2 RBI
- This is UNF's 19th double-digit hit performance of the year.
- UNF has scored in double figures eight times this season.
- The Ospreys finish the season 7-3 in midweek games.
- North Florida is 14-6 against in-state foes.
- UNF is now 26-2 all-time against FAMU after taking all four games against the Rattlers this season.
- Murphy has 34 steals for his career, two short of setting the UNF Division I record for career steals.
- Murphy also scored four runs, a season high for the Ospreys.
The Ospreys host their final home series of the season when Kennesaw State comes to town Friday for a three-game set at Harmon Stadium.