ATLANTA, Ga. - After big weekends at the plate and on the mound in conference play, Kennesaw State's Jake Franklin and Lipscomb's Chris Kachmar were honored as ASUN Conference Baseball weekly winners, announced by the league office on Monday.
Earning his first career Player of the Week honor, Franklin led Kennesaw State at the plate vs. Liberty in a three-game set with the Flames. The senior from Homer, Ga. did just as his hometown implies, hitting three homer runs over the weekend, all coming on Sunday as part of a double header. The infielder/outfielder hit a pair in the first game of the twin bill, sparking KSU to an early 6-0 lead and then later tying the game at 10-10 in the bottom of the eighth with a three-run shot. Franklin belted a two-run homer in the second game, an eventual win for Kennesaw State. After his big weekend, the senior now leads the ASUN with 10 home runs and ranks in the top five of both average (5th, .326) and RBIs (3rd, 40).
Kachmar claims his first Pitcher of the Week honor as well, leading Lipscomb on the mound as the Bisons overtook North Florida for third place in the conference standings. The senior right-hander dominated the Ospreys, keeping UNF off the scoreboard in a complete game shutout performance. The Pennsylvania native struck out four hitters across his time on the mound, limiting the Ospreys' batters to four hits as well in the 1-0 victory. His third start allowing zero runs this season, Kachmar picked up the win and now have seven on the season, which is tied for second-most in the conference. The righty has racked up 73 strikeouts too, ranking sixth in the ASUN.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - May 6th
Jake Franklin, Kennesaw State
Senior | Infielder/Outfielder | Homer, Ga.
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first for Kennesaw State this season
- Hit .667 over the weekend vs. Liberty, collecting three home runs and eight RBIs
- Over the course of a double header on Sunday, hit three home runs and drove in eight runs
- Tied the game at 10-10 in the first half of the double header with a three-run bomb in the bottom of the eighth
- Now leads the ASUN with 10 home runs, ranks third with 40 RBIs and fifth with a .326 season batting average
Other Nominees: Kohl Gilmore, FGCU; Paul Franzoni, NJIT; Kevin Brenning, North Alabama; Jake Murphy, Stetson.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week - May 6th
Chris Kachmar, Lipscomb
Senior | Pitcher | East Greenville, Pa. | Business
- First Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; second for the Bisons this season
- Threw a complete game shutout vs. North Florida in a 1-0 victory for Lipscomb
- Struck out four hitters across his nine innings of work while limiting the Ospreys to four hits
- With the win, helped Lipscomb move into third place in the ASUN standings by a half-game
- Sits with seven wins on the season and 73 strikeouts, both in the top six of the ASUN leader boards
Other Nominees: Nikolas Bitner, FGCU; Andrew McInvale, Liberty; Tyler Stafflinger, NJIT; Hunter Davidson, North Alabama; Nick Marchese, North Florida; Vlad Nunez, Stetson.
ASUN Baseball 2019 Weekly Winners
May 6th - Player: Jake Franklin, Kennesaw State | Pitcher: Chris Kachmar, Lipscomb
April 29th - Player: Tevin Symonette, Lipscomb | Pitcher: A.J. Jones, Jacksonville
April 22nd - Players: Wes Weeks, North Florida & Eric Foggo, Stetson | Pitcher: Bryant Claunch, North Alabama
April 15th - Players: Eric Gonzalez, FGCU & Reid Homan, North Alabama | Pitcher: Brad Deppermann, North Florida
April 8th - Player: Jorge Arenas, Stetson | Co-Pitchers: Nick Love, Jacksonville & Daniel Paret, Stetson
April 1st - Player: Brandon Rohrer, Liberty | Pitcher: Chris Gonzalez, Stetson
March 25th - Player: Jonathan Embry, Liberty | Pitcher: AJ Jones, Jacksonville
March 18th - Player: Logan Mathieu, Liberty | Pitcher: Nick Marchese, North Florida
March 11th - Player: Joe Kinker, FGCU | Pitcher: Evan Lumbert, FGCU
March 4th - Player: Jay Prather, North Florida | Pitcher: Nick Love, Jacksonville
Feb. 25th - Player: Tanner Murphy, North Florida | Pitcher: Tyler Guilfoil, Lipscomb
Feb. 18th - Player: Paul Franzoni, NJIT | Pitcher: Max McKinley, North Florida