LakePoint, Ga. - After helping North Florida to a road sweep of FGCU, Chris Berry takes home this week's ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week award. Stetson picks up their fifth Pitcher of the Week award this season, as Jack Perkins nabs his first honor of the year, announced by the league office on Monday.
Berry had a strong week last week, especially in conference play. In the weekend sweep of FGCU, Berry hit .467 with a .500 on base percentage (OBP) and a slugging percentage (SLG%) of .800. In Sunday's 16-1 thumping of the Eagles, Berry paced the offense going 3-5 with a homer and a triple. He has been a catalyst at the top of the lineup this season, owning a .391 OBP and he has reached safely in 23 consecutive games.
Stetson's dominant pitching staff earns another weekly honor with Jack Perkins earn this week's honor. Perkins was brilliant in Saturday's victory over No. 24 Jacksonville. The junior righty tossed his second career complete game, surrendering just one earned run, six hits, no walks, all while striking out eight hitters. He ended the game by retiring the last 16 hitters he faced. This season Perkins is tied for the ASUN lead in wins with eight, while owning a 2.97 ERA with 72 strikeouts over 72.2 innings pitched.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - May 7th
Chris Berry, North Florida
Junior | Utlity | Seminole, Fla. | Exploratory
- First Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first this year for UNF
- Hit .467 with a homer and two RBIs in conference play last week, heling the Ospreys to a big sweep of FGCU
- Paced the offense in Sunday's rout of FGCU, going 3-5 with a homer and a triple
- Berry has been an on-base machine, reaching safely in 23 consecutive contests
- This season Berry is slashing .281./391./.366 with two homers, 19 RBIs and 26 runs scored
Other Nominees: Jake Perry, Lipscomb; Kyle Ball, Stetson.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - May 7th
Jack Perkins, Stetson
Junior | Pitcher | Ocala, Fla. | Business Systems and Analytics
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; sixth for Stetson this season
- Tossed his second career complete game last weekend beating Jacksonville 8-2
- Surrendered just one earned run, six hits and no walks, while punching out eight batters
- Retired the last 16 Dolphin hitters he faced in the series clinching victory
- This season is tied for the ASUN lead in wins with an 8-2 record, while posting a 2.97 ERA with 72 Ks over 72.2 innings
Other Nominees: Chris Gau, Jacksonville; Brad Deppermann, North Florida.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|
|Feb. 26||Kohl Gilmore, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 5||Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|March 12||Richie Garcia, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|March 19||Brooks Wilson, Stetson||Frank German, North Florida|
|March 26||Griffin Helms, Kennesaw State||Kevin Hickey, USC Upstate|
|April 2||Jorge Arenas, Stetson||Evan Lumbert, FGCU|
|April 9||David Chabut, Kennesaw State||Frank German, North Florida|
|April 16||Angel Camacho, Jacksonville||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|April 23||Angel Camacho, Jacksonville||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|April 30||Brooks Wilson, Stetson||Josh Dye, FGCU|
|May 7||Chris Berry, North Florida||Jack Perkins, Stetson|