LakePoint, Ga. - ASUN Conference Baseball action continues with four series this weekend. No. 27 FGCU heads on the road to Jacksonville in a matchup of last year's ASUN tournament and regular season champions. Stetson welcomes Lipscomb to DeLand, while NJIT plays host to USC Upstate. The final weekend series sees North Florida visiting Kennesaw State.
The Eagles won their opening league series last weekend and look to carry that momentum into the River City. Jacksonville is 4-2 in conference play having won two series already as they look to cement their spot atop the standings. Kennesaw State and North Florida are both 4-2 in ASUN play entering this weekend's critical series. The Hatters are hoping to bounce back after falling at Kennesaw State last weekend. They host Lipscomb who sits at 3-3 in ASUN play after two home series. NJIT, which has won a game in each of the previous two series, looks for its first ASUN series win since 2016 when they host USC Upstate.
Tune into ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app to catch the entire Jacksonville vs. No. 27 FGCU series. Stetson vs. Lipscomb can also be seen in its entirety. Facebook Live is your home for the Kennesaw State vs. North Florida action.
Fans can follow @ASUNBSB on Twitter all weekend long to stay up to date with the action.
No. 27 FGCU Eagles
Record: 24-7 (2-1)
Upcoming Series: at Jacksonville (Friday, 2 PM; Saturday, 7 PM; Sunday, 1 PM - all games on ESPN3)
- FGCU earned its first conference series win of the year, defeating NJIT 2-1 last week. The Eagles head to Jacksonville this weekend for a showdown between last year's regular season and tournament champions.
- On the offensive side, FGCU ranks first in the ASUN in runs (237), hits, (338) and home runs (28). The Eagles own an 11-1 record this season when scoring nine runs or more in a game.
- FGCU is the only team in the ASUN currently with two players that have 30 or more RBI on the year. Richie Garcia continues to lead the ASUN with 37 runs batted in, while Kohl Gilmore is second with 32.
- Mario Leon and Josh Dye have been the two top starters for the FGCU rotation this year. Dye's ERA of 2.09 ranks fifth in the ASUN, while Leon is 3-0 in his last three starts, allowing only two ER combined.
- After stealing just seven bases in his freshman campaign, sophomore Marc Coffers has already swiped and ASUN-best 17 bags this year. Five of those 17 came last weekend in league action vs. NJIT.
- As a team, FGCU's pitching staff owns a 9.74 strikeout-to-walk ratio coming into this weekend. Five pitchers boast a ratio of 10.00 or better, with Peyton Gray leading the team at 14.45 (38 Ks/10 BBs).
- The Eagles lead the all-time series with Jacksonville 19-14. FGCU lost the regular season series last year, but defeated the Dolphins twice in the ASUN Championship, including the Final to clinch its first title.
Record: 22-12 (4-2)
Upcoming Series: vs. No. 27 FGCU (Friday, 2 PM; Saturday, 7 PM; Sunday, 1 PM - all games ESPN3)
- Jacksonville has won both of its ASUN league series 2-1 heading into this weekend's showdown with FGCU. The Dolphins fell to the Eagles in the ASUN Championship Final last year.
- The Dolphins' offense has scored double-digit runs in back-to-back games for the first time this year. They have produced 29 hits and seven doubles combined in those two victories.
- Sam Armstrong was the midweek hero as his two-run homer in the eighth proved the difference at Florida A&M. The senior is batting .308 on the year and ranks third on the team with 17 RBI.
- Angel Camacho is finding his groove at the plate as the first baseman has hit safely in 15 of his last 17 games. The junior has also recorded at least one RBI in each of the past five games coming into this weekend.
- Freshman Chris Mauloni tied a single-season program record with his 13th save of the year. He ranks tied for first in the ASUN and NCAA in that category with Stetson's Brooks Wilson.
- Infielder Scott Dubrule owns the highest batting average on the Dolphins entering this weekend. He is hitting .356 on the year, which ranks fourth in the ASUN. He has 17 multi-hit games on the season.
- Jacksonville trails the all-time series 14-19 against FGCU, but the Dolphins have won the last two regular-season series. They swept the series the last time it was played at John Sessions Stadium in 2015.
Kennesaw State Owls
Record: 18-15 (4-2)
Upcoming Series: vs. North Florida (Friday, 6 PM; Saturday, 2 PM; Sunday, 1 PM - all on Facebook Live)
- Kennesaw State is coming off a big ASUN series win against then No. 16 Stetson. The Owls took the series 2-1, winning in extra innings on the final day. They have won each of the first two league series 2-1.
- David Chabut took home his first ASUN Player of Week award after registering three multi-hit games against the Hatters. He is currently riding a 13-game hitting streak which includes eight multi-hit efforts.
- Grant Williams (13) and Griffin Helms (12) rank first and second in the league in doubles. The Owls as a team have hit a league-high 70 doubles, and also lead the ASUN with 102 extra-base hits this season.
- Kennesaw State's pitching staff is holding ASUN opponents to a .239 batting average, the best in the league so far. Senior starter AJ Moore owns the team's best ERA among starters at 2.32 coming in this week.
- Freshman Ryan Kennedy earned his first collegiate win in midweek action against Georgia Southern. He has struck out 18 batters in his 25.0 innings of work so far this season for the Owls.
- Jake Franklin continues to provide power in the heart of the Owls lineup. The junior had a three-run shot against Stetson, his fourth on the year which is tied for the team lead. His nine RBI in ASUN play are first.
- The Owls trail the all-time series with North Florida 41-43, which dates back to both teams Division II days. The home team has won the regular season series in every year dating back to 2012.
Record: 15-16 (3-3)
Upcoming Series: at Stetson (Friday, 5:30 PM CT; Saturday, 5:30 PM CT; Sunday, 12 PM CT - all on ESPN3)
- The Bisons picked up a midweek win against Austin Peay in comeback fashion as they scored five runs in the eighth inning. They head to DeLand, Fla. to take on one of the nation's best pitching staffs in Stetson.
- Catcher Jeffrey Crisan has been a consistent threat in the lineup for Lipscomb as he leads the team with a .341 batting average. Six of Crisan's 29 hits have been for extra bases and he has 19 RBI on the year.
- Lipscomb's offense has only hit .238 in road games this season as they travel to DeLand this weekend. They have produced seven homers in five road contests as they look to improve on their 1-4 road record.
- Nine of the Bisons' 36 stolen bases have come in ASUN play, the most of any team. Blake Thomas has been the main threat as he has swiped 15 bags on the year. Three players have registered four stolen bases.
- In the bullpen, Kyle Kemp and Robbie Knox have recorded four saves each to lead the charge. Kemp owns a 12.43 K/9 ratio, which is the best on the team. Knox has struck out 27 batters and only allowed seven BB.
- Maddux Houghton and Chris Bashlor have combined for 33 RBI on the season, which ranks first among ASUN freshman duos in the conference. Houghton has 18 RBI, while Bashlor owns 17 on the year.
- Lipscomb trails the all-time series with Stetson 36-29 coming into this weekend. The Bisons did earn a 3-0 sweep the last time they played in the regular season in DeLand, outscoring Stetson 19-5 in 2016.
Record: 13-12 (2-4)
Upcoming Series: vs. USC Upstate (Friday, 6 PM; Saturday, 1 PM; Sunday, 12 PM)
- NJIT collected its first home win of the season in midweek action after opening the year with 24 consecutive games away from Newark, N.J. The Highlanders beat Saint Peter's 11-3.
- The Highlanders enter this weekend's ASUN series with a 2-4 record after winning their first-ever contest against FGCU. Justin Etts drove home the game-winning run in a 4-3 victory.
- The Marcano brothers, David and Julio, have been outstanding players in their freshman season for NJIT. David is batting .322, while Julio is hitting .294. Both have one homer on the year.
- Tyler Stafflinger boasts the lowest ERA on the team at 2.43 coming into this weekend. The sophomore righty has allowed only three earned runs in his last 30.2 innings pitched for NJIT.
- NJIT enters the weekend in fifth place in the ASUN with 30 stolen bases. Jesse Uttendorfer (8), Michael Anastasia (5) and Justin Etts (5) have combined for 18 of those 30 steals.
- Uttendorfer also holds the team lead in extra-base hits with 10 on the season. He has four doubles and a triple in six ASUN contests. His .400 batting average vs. ASUN pitchers is 10th-best.
- NJIT holds a 3-2 all-time series advantage against USC Upstate heading into this weekend. The last time the teams faced each other in Newark, NJIT won the series 2-0.
North Florida Ospreys
Record: 18-15 (4-2)
Upcoming Series: at Kennesaw State (Friday, 6 PM; Saturday, 2 PM; Sunday, 1 PM - all on Facebook Live)
- The Ospreys are entering this weekend riding a four-game winning streak, tied for the team's longest this season. They look to carry that momentum into a weekend series at Kennesaw State.
- Tanner Murphy has been one of the hottest players in the country and he continued his play this past week. Murphy hit his 10th homer of the season, becoming the first ASUN player this year with double-digits.
- Seventeen of North Florida's 18 wins this year have come in the friendly confines of Harmon Stadium. The Ospreys are hitting .243 on the road compared to .297 at home entering this weekend.
- Frank German collected his third ASUN Pitcher of the Week honor as he continues his dominant campaign. The righty threw another gem last week going 8.0 IP with no earned runs. His ERA is an ASUN-best 0.96.
- Brad Depperman picked up two saves in the series sweep against USC Upstate last weekend. After earning one career save coming into this season, Depperman now has three saves on the year for the Ospreys.
- With 37 stolen bases, the Ospreys rank second in the ASUN coming into this week. Murphy leads the team with 10 steals, while Chris Berry sits second on the team with five.
- North Florida holds a slight 43-41 advantage in the all-time series against Kennesaw State. The last time the Ospreys won a series in Kennesaw was back in 2004 when both teams were in Division II.
USC Upstate Spartans
Record: 16-19-1 (1-5)
Upcoming Series: at NJIT (Friday, 6 PM; Saturday, 1 PM; Sunday, 12PM)
- The Spartans look to bounce back after being swept last weekend at North Florida. USC Upstate heads to NJIT this weekend continuing ASUN conference action.
- USC Upstate leads the league in hit by pitches as the Spartans have been hit 57 times this year. Charlie Carpenter and Toran Shahidi are tied for the team lead at 12 entering this weekend.
- Russell Schwertfeger and Carpenter are tied for the team lead with three homers each. Carpenter slugged his third of the year in last weekend's series at UNF. He leads the Spartans with 31 RBI.
- Kevin Hickey has thrown a team-best 49.0 innings on the season. His ERA sits at 2.39, which ranks him 10th in the ASUN. Hickey has pitched at least 6.1 innings in each of his last three starts.
- The Spartans are batting .246 as a team on the road this season, compared to .272 at home. Only 12 of the team's 52 extra-base hits have come away from Harley Park as they head to NJIT this weekend.
- Jordan Marks is one of three Upstate pitchers with 30 or more strikeouts this season. He ranks third on the team behind Blake Whitney (52) and Hickey (32) entering this weekend.
- USC Upstate looks for its first win in Newark after losing both contests on the road in 2016. They did win last year's regular season series against the Highlanders 2-1 at home.
Record: 25-8 (1-2)
Upcoming Series: vs. Lipscomb (Friday, 6:30 PM; Saturday, 6:30 PM; Sunday 1 PM - all on ESPN3)
- Stetson looks to bounce back from a series loss to open ASUN play when they host Lipscomb this weekend. The Hatters earned a big midweek win to sweep the season series from USF.
- The Hatters are led by their arms as they feature one of the top pitching staff's in the country. Stetson ranks second nationally in ERA (2.41), WHIP (1.07) and fourth in K/9 (10.6).
- Jacob Koos has been an excellent leadoff batter for the Hatters. He ranks ninth in the league with 20 walks, sixth in runs scored (27) and third in stolen bases (11) coming into this weekend's action.
- Koos is joined by Nico Torino as the two Stetson regulars with a batting average north of .300. Torino checks in at .348 on the season, including four multi-hit games in his last six contests played.
- Brooks Wilson is tied for the NCAA lead in saves with 13 on the season. That mark is tied for 11th-most in ASUN single-season history. Wilson's ERA sits at a miniscule 0.58 coming into this weekend.
- Jorge Arenas was once again a key player in the midweek win against USF. He produced three hits, his 10th multi-hit game of the year. Against the Bulls, he was 5-for-9 in the season series with five RBI.
- The Hatters lead the all-time series against Lipscomb 36-29 coming into the weekend. They won last year's regular season series 2-1 vs. the Bisons, winning the final two games of the weekend.